Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattcooley2379

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2023
Today I noticed may 2012 Mac Pro had a red light showing on the main board in front of the fan. The characters next to the light are R1531 to the left and OVTMP CPUB. I assume that it has something to do with on of my CPU's over-heating? Can anyone help me with determining what the issue is and how to fix it?

The Mac was still on and working but I didn't want to chance doing any damage to it if there was an overheating issue. I would very much appreciate all the help I can get. The only thing that has changed is I installed a new GPU (AMD Sapphire Nitro+ 580 last night) and everything booted up properly, even showing the new GPU in the About My Mac page.

I have not installed OCLP yet, but that was my plan, so that I can upgrade the OS to a newer OS. (Currently running High Sierra). I attached a pic of where I am seeing the red light (it's the second led cluster from the top above the PSU Fan cables).

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 46

kimjongbill

macrumors member
May 13, 2016
I don’t have my 4,1 in front of me, but I had a similar issue on mine, I don’t remember what LEDs were lit up. I fixed it with repasting the north bridge heatsink. There was a clip that fell off and I had to replace it. But then I had another similar episode and I had to replace the processor logic board with a new one, and that fixed it.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
There was a clip that fell off and I had to replace it. But then I had another similar episode and I had to replace the processor logic board with a new one, and that fixed it.
Well, that doesn’t seem completely unheard of:

As a further resource:

Page 27 shows a Processor Board overview.

kimjongbill

macrumors member
May 13, 2016
Well, that doesn’t seem completely unheard of:

As a further resource:

Page 27 shows a Processor Board overview.
Yup, this was the thread I used to diagnose that problem. To diagnose the north bridge, just take off the heat sink and see if the north bridge heat sink is laying flat. While you're there, you might as well replace the rivet. Just make sure you have thermal paste on hand because you're gonna have to repaste both the north bridge and the processor (but you already know that)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.