Mac Pro 5,1 Slow Boot Chime

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by teeck2000, Jan 9, 2014.

1. teeck2000 macrumors regular

I just got a display model 3.2 ghz 5,1 model and upgraded the processor to a w3690, 48gb ram and a velocity X2 with a samsung 840 1TB.

The only issue I am having is that when I press the power button the machine takes about 8-15 seconds for the boot chime to play and startup. I'm not sure if it was like this before I did the upgrades.

I have tried doing a PRAM reset and smc reset but no go. Unless this is normal? Has anyone ran into this issue? Thanks for any insight.

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

The additional ram and the velocity X2 cause the delay. The internal system check takes longer because there is now more hardware to check. It's normal.

3. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Normally the machine is reading all your hardwares that was added that takes a longer time to boot. What is important is during usage operation is smooth without any hangups. Congrats on your new purchase.

4. teeck2000 thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking the cause was the new hardware checks as well but wanted to check with other users. Thanks for the responses. The machine runs great no issues.