Mac Pro 5,1 turns off when entering sleep (in bootcamp)

Jayson A

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
This has happened like 3 times now. Sometimes my Mac Pro will completely turn off when I expect to just come back and wake it up.

Do I have a bad power supply?

bookemdano

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2011
Are you watching it to see that it shuts down immediately when entering sleep, or is it possible it enters actual sleep mode (pulsing light on the front) and then shuts down sometime later?

Reason I ask is that Windows settings (I believe) are to sleep for a while and then hibernate--which is where the contents of RAM get written to a file on the disk and then the computer does completely shut down. Turning it back on should initiate a process that reads the hibernation file from disk back to RAM and returns you to exactly where you were, but sometimes that doesn't work properly.

Macs have hibernation functionality too but I've only ever seen it used in battery powered Macs when the battery level gets to a critical level.

Edit: Do you have a MacOS drive/partition also? Does sleep work properly there? If so then your PSU is not the problem.

Jayson A

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Are you watching it to see that it shuts down immediately when entering sleep, or is it possible it enters actual sleep mode (pulsing light on the front) and then shuts down sometime later?

Reason I ask is that Windows settings (I believe) are to sleep for a while and then hibernate--which is where the contents of RAM get written to a file on the disk and then the computer does completely shut down. Turning it back on should initiate a process that reads the hibernation file from disk back to RAM and returns you to exactly where you were, but sometimes that doesn't work properly.

Macs have hibernation functionality too but I've only ever seen it used in battery powered Macs when the battery level gets to a critical level.

Edit: Do you have a MacOS drive/partition also? Does sleep work properly there? If so then your PSU is not the problem.
The thing is, it doesn’t always happen. I’ve seen it 3 times so far. 2 times I was away when it happened. The 3rd time is when I was trying to make it happen and I put my computer to sleep manually.

I went into the power settings and turned off hibernation but that was after the 3rd time.

I hardly ever spend time in macOS these days so I have no idea if it’s a problem in macOS as well.

bookemdano

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2011
Well I mean as a matter of testing you should reboot into MacOS and manually put it to sleep via the Apple menu. If it enters sleep mode (pulsing white light) and you can wake it up normally then there's nothing wrong with your power supply.

If you've only just now disabled hibernation I would give it some time and see if that resolves the issue on the windows side. Keep us posted.

Jayson A

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Well I mean as a matter of testing you should reboot into MacOS and manually put it to sleep via the Apple menu. If it enters sleep mode (pulsing white light) and you can wake it up normally then there's nothing wrong with your power supply.

If you've only just now disabled hibernation I would give it some time and see if that resolves the issue on the windows side. Keep us posted.
It happened again while I was away at a wedding. Came home and my computer was off. I booted into macOS and put it to sleep a few times and it was fine. I don't know what's causing this ugh.

bookemdano

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2011
Do you have the intel chipset drivers installed? Not sure if Intel provides a download for the X58 or if Windows Update automatically takes care of it.

I would disable sleep altogether in Windows and then leave the system for a day or two and see if it stays online. If so, then you know the problem has something to do with sleep.

A longshot--you don't have the Mac Pro on a UPS battery backup with the USB cable connected, do you? I just remembered I had a similar issue a couple of years ago (although this was in OS X) and it was my UPS sending erroneous signals to the Mac to shut down.

I would pull all other drives than the boot drive, pull all PCIe cards other than the video card, and pull all RAM sticks but 1. Re-enable sleep in Windows and see if your shutdown issue goes away. If it does, then add stuff back one at a time in order to isolate what hardware is causing it.

If it still shuts down with the stripped down config then you might try a new windows install onto another disk or partition just to rule out some sort of bad driver/configuration issue on your existing bootcamp partition.

Jayson A

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Do you have the intel chipset drivers installed? Not sure if Intel provides a download for the X58 or if Windows Update automatically takes care of it.

I would disable sleep altogether in Windows and then leave the system for a day or two and see if it stays online. If so, then you know the problem has something to do with sleep.

A longshot--you don't have the Mac Pro on a UPS battery backup with the USB cable connected, do you? I just remembered I had a similar issue a couple of years ago (although this was in OS X) and it was my UPS sending erroneous signals to the Mac to shut down.

I would pull all other drives than the boot drive, pull all PCIe cards other than the video card, and pull all RAM sticks but 1. Re-enable sleep in Windows and see if your shutdown issue goes away. If it does, then add stuff back one at a time in order to isolate what hardware is causing it.

If it still shuts down with the stripped down config then you might try a new windows install onto another disk or partition just to rule out some sort of bad driver/configuration issue on your existing bootcamp partition.
Welp, that last shut down that I just posted about was due to a power outage from a thunder storm. Sorry. I didn’t realize until my wife went to use her PS4 and it was off, along with the stereo. Sorry about that.

Jayson A

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it’s also happening in macOS Sierra. It doesn’t matter if I manually put the computer to sleep or let it fall asleep on it’s own. It will shut off immediately 2 times out of ten. Seems like it’s startig to get more frequent.
[doublepost=1538259226][/doublepost]

I actually do have a UPS attached to my computer with the USB cable. Should I just unplug that? I didn’t think that would cause a shut down.

Edit: it’s also happening under macOS. It could very well be the UPS doing it.

Edit 2: unplugging UPS didn’t help and I removed everything from the system except for the boot drive and it still shut down.

I’m thinking it has to be the freaking power supply. I will say that when it shuts off, a few seconds later, 2 red lights on the back board panel light up for a brief moment. From what I read in the service manual, those should light up red if the computer is disconnected from AC Power.

I wonder why it only happens when putting it to sleep. If I’m using the computer it’s fine.

Last edited:

Jayson A

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Hi all! I bought a refurbished power supply for my 5,1 and I've been running with it for about a week now and I haven't had a single power issue since. Looks like I've solved my issue for now.