Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cycom

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
I have a 2012 Mac Pro. Base quad core Xeon. Base Radeon.

Would upgrading to an RX580 (that’s properly flashed) be a plug and play solution to upgrade to Catalina?

leoaf79

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
No, since Mojave is the last MacOS officially supported by MacPro5,1.

You may try this approach, although:

I use it and it’s great.

Cycom

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
Thank you. Do the security updates and patches work as normal through the App Store once Catalina is successfully installed using this method?

leoaf79

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
Thank you. Do the security updates and patches work as normal through the App Store once Catalina is successfully installed using this method?

Yes. The first post is a wiki and it explains almost everything.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Correct me if I am wrong, but does open core work on Nehalem processors?
The wiki says Westermere/Gulftown.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For Nehalem, I think it's possible to completely spoof the cMP to iMac Pro. This should allow Catalina update with HWaccel activate etc.

naerct

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2019
Southern NH
OpenCore works, but Catalina updates don't. Westmere/Gulftown is a requirement for VMM spoofing.
The easy updates with Apple make it all worthwhile... I had that same problem on my 4-core with a 2.66 Nehalem. I got a 3.33 Westmere for $50. Installation was a breeze, even the thermal compound went on easy. I always disliked that part from building Winboxes last century for work. I just used the pea-sized dab in the middle and cross tightening of the heat sync. Seems to be fine. I added an RX 580 was well. There are plenty on eBay, but I was really frustrated that most times the ending price with shipping was only $20 or $30 less than a brand new one, shipped free. I would say that many of the prices for "Refurbished" mdse were more than current new prices. I also wanted a specific model, so eBay was problematic. When I upgraded an 8-core about a year ago, I got the Gigabyte 580 since they have the oversized fans and are generally pretty rugged. But I did wider research this time as I had a tight budget, and almost every brand of 580 was on auction. I liked the XFX units from what I read, and was not disappointed once I got it running, but only for a couple days. QUIET. Every time I looked, the fans were off. Meanwhile, I've been binging on Opencore with the 12-core, and got the basics to work really well. I haven't seen a boot screen since I made my first video card upgrade, as the Mac EFI cards were so expensive. That was about 9 years ago. So, that black screen boot picker and progress bar is really nice. I now have Catalina on all 3 of my Macs where only one made the list. BTW, the upgraded Westmere CPUs are available in several speeds and models. I chose the 3.33 as that's generally the next to the top line 3.84. The top line costs are a bit out of line. Both the 6-core and the 12-core CPUs can be used in a quad core. It's all in the 90 pages of the OC thread. Make sure you have the correct speed RAM for the processor. Don't try to run a 6-core with 1033. I've heard that it can cause backups. As soon as the Nehalem was replaced, only 1333 was sold new for 4-core MPs, but it only operated with 1066 speed when with a Nehalem CPU. My 4-core only had 24GB of RAM, but it turned out to be 1333 once I got it coupled with my Westmere CPU. There are still a few things that don't work as well, but I am hopeful about finding solutions, judging by the erudition of those who support it on MacRumors. The CPU swap was only about a couple of hours, including a lot of time finding everything I needed. It took about the same time to do a clean install of Mojave and which made me scramble for fast drives. I got everything running and backed up, and saved the Opencore installation for this morning. The CPU upgrades do have a large affect on speed, nearly double with more RAM. But, what can help with incompressable files with high resolution imagery is openCL which uses the GPU and the super fast 8GB of RAM. However, don't forget the new NVMe drives (blades). Inside the SATA2 drive bays, no SATA SSD can get to 300MB/s compared to my S-970 EVO that gets 2800MB/s.

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

sorry, nobody can read that!

please make paragraphs and pauses

naerct

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2019
Southern NH
If you don't use paragraphs and separate your ideas, no one will read massive blobs of text. Take your time to make what you write easier to be read.
Sorry for the mixup, that curt reply was meant for IndeoX. He must invented that quote, supposedly it was from me, but you can see my mostly syntax correct post immediately proceeding his fake quote from me. Perhaps there were problems with the posting initially.
Besides, I would never have said that to you who I have the greatest respect for, as you helped me through the 4,1 to 5,1 upgrade many years ago, and right up through my hardware upgrades to today as I’m bringing my 4-core into Opencore.
I’m very sorry you thought that question was for you.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Sorry for the mixup, that curt reply was meant for IndeoX. He must invented that quote, supposedly it was from me, but you can see my mostly syntax correct post immediately proceeding his fake quote from me. Perhaps there were problems with the posting initially.
Besides, I would never have said that to you who I have the greatest respect for, as you helped me through the 4,1 to 5,1 upgrade many years ago, and right up through my hardware upgrades to today as I’m bringing my 4-core into Opencore.
I’m very sorry you thought that question was for you.

No problem. Just try to separate your ideas with paragraphs, makes a lot easier to read. People see big blobs of text like that and, most of the time, they just ignore.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I have 2 Mac Pro 5,1s. I think the specs for the main one are below. I upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 using the dosdude patch (highly recommended). The computer generally works better than under Mojave, if slightly. Very happy. The airport stops working (drivers) so I ordered an adapter and BT extension then fitted the Wifi/BT4.2 card from a dead imac 2015. Perfect. Then I cloned the system, booted a 2013 imac off the clone, updated to the latest OS (19H524) and then cloned that back onto the internal NVme SSD. I am happy to do that for the infrequent updates to catalina that will follow. I have Big Sur on another mac and i'm in no rush for that so the dosdude patch will suit me.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Just Use DosDude's patcher - I did this and no metal card at all - everything works great. Metal cards are too expensive here in Ukraine.

rafboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2020
Los Angeles
Sorry if this is a cross-post, I wasn't sure where this should go:

Does anyone have a cMP 5,1 and was able to apply the Catalina SecUpd2022-001Catalina (19H1713)?
I'm at my wits end with trying to get it to update.
I can't get past the 19H1704 version. (pic #1)

I've tried to update by applying the Catalina OTA Software Update Fix (pic #2)
I'm able to see the beta version of the Catalina Update (pic #3), but I keep getting an OTA error every time I try to apply the fix after about 3% of the download (pic #4).

There have been instances where it will download the whole update and then restart my Mac after it ostensibly updates my OS, but when I check the version, I'm right back at 19H1704.
I've tried to use the dosdude1 Catalina Patcher, but since the Security Update is not a combo version, it downloads version 19H15 instead.
I tried the same with the MDS app, but 19H15 is the last available version.
In total, I've tried about 2 dozen times to apply the Security Update to no avail.

Has anyone been able to get this to work on a cMP 5,1?
If so, how?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 01 OS.jpg
    01 OS.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 04 OTA error.jpg
    04 OTA error.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 02 SUpdate.jpg
    02 SUpdate.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 03 Security Update.jpg
    03 Security Update.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 05 Not Supported.jpg
    05 Not Supported.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 187

MORJOYES

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2023
No, since Mojave is the last MacOS officially supported by MacPro5,1.

You may try this approach, although:

I use it and it’s great.
good afternoon.
how can I download opencore i want to intall catalina mac pro mid 2010
I opened the link page but I dont see an option to dowload

Reactions: MrScratchHook

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Sorry if this is a cross-post, I wasn't sure where this should go:

Does anyone have a cMP 5,1 and was able to apply the Catalina SecUpd2022-001Catalina (19H1713)?
I'm at my wits end with trying to get it to update.
I can't get past the 19H1704 version. (pic #1)

I've tried to update by applying the Catalina OTA Software Update Fix (pic #2)
I'm able to see the beta version of the Catalina Update (pic #3), but I keep getting an OTA error every time I try to apply the fix after about 3% of the download (pic #4).

There have been instances where it will download the whole update and then restart my Mac after it ostensibly updates my OS, but when I check the version, I'm right back at 19H1704.
I've tried to use the dosdude1 Catalina Patcher, but since the Security Update is not a combo version, it downloads version 19H15 instead.
I tried the same with the MDS app, but 19H15 is the last available version.
In total, I've tried about 2 dozen times to apply the Security Update to no avail.

Has anyone been able to get this to work on a cMP 5,1?
If so, how?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Welcome to the world of pain that is updating Catalina

I gave up and used OCLP to update to Monterey.

I recall locating the download and deleting it, also there are files installed by the Jackluke script which need to be deleted.

It was too much trouble in the end so I used Open Core Legacy Patcher. There is plenty of info on this forum, but when installing onto a 5.1 you will need an old GPU which allows you to see the boot loader (Pressing alt on startup) after installation you can switch the GPU

knucklesmd

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2017
Can anyone verify that running OS 10.15 on a mac 5,1 6core allows for smooth operation of these newer subscription model apps (ie. Illustrator) that do not work on 10.14... and also the continuing smooth operation of previously functioning Apps? Or are there new bugs and errors. I suppose I'm asking, is it worth it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.