Mac Pro 5.1 wakes up by itself

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macstatic, Nov 3, 2013.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I often find that my quad-core Mac Pro (5.1 running OSX 10.6.8) after having been put to sleep has woken up on its own when I've come back later. And it won't go to sleep again as it should (the Energy saver system preference has been set to around 10 minutes and "Wake for network access" has been disabled).
    Obviously the keys or mouse hasn't been touched, so why is this happening? Is there a log somewhere which might help finding out in which circumstances this is happening and why?

2. Studio K macrumors 6502

Studio K

You can launch Console and read through what's happened since the time it went to sleep.
    This waking from sleep behavior happened to me frequently in the past and it was always to do with Bluetooth (mouse and/or keyboard). Wake Reason UHC6 is the code for Bluetooth if I am remembering it right.

This appears to have stopped happening when I installed Mavericks.

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll give it a go next time it happens.
    I'm using a wired keyboard/mouse and don't have Bluetooth turned on, so that can't be it. Strange.
    Were you using OSX 10.6 when you had the same issues?

4. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

5. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

type this in terminal

syslog | grep Wake

Look at the output and you can decipher the reason.

examples of output found here

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57575228-263/how-to-find-system-wake-causes-in-os-x/

6. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm having trouble figuring this out because:

1) I found no trace of "wake" in the console although I don't know exactly where to look ("Database searches", "Diagnostic and usage information" or "Files") so I looked around and also did a search ("Filter" in the top right hand corner)

2) I tried the "syslog | grep Wake" command but it returned nothing! Like this:

PHP:
    syslog grep Wake
    $
    syslog grep Wake
    $

7. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

The link I posted had the text to search for in quotes. I don't know the syntax of the grep command for single words however.

Code:
    syslog |grep -i "Wake reason"

8. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i had this problem on 10.8.4 but upgrading to 10.8.5 fixed it

9. grey17 macrumors newbie

Check your sharing settings. After some software update, network sharing got turned on my MP. It would wake from sleep at seemingly random intervals.

10. Saltymac macrumors member

Do you have a USB drive connected to it ? I was have the same issue 70% of the time because of my USB drive I use as a time machine and file storage drive. I finally had to disconnect it for sleep.

11. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

The Wake reason should say what is causing it but till that is checked, you won't know.