Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBreckeen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
Hello all.

I have a 5.1 that is solo-boot to Win10 from the harddisk (there is only Win10, and no other OS's). Yes I know, I know; but this is a graphics workstation and we all know the issues with OSX and modern graphics cards. This with a RTX 2080ti serves me very well for my work.

Everything has been perfect with it, but after a Win10 update a couple of versions ago, I have lost all audio. I waited until the next (latest) update to see if it would be fixed, but no joy. There have been no hardware changes, and only Win10 updates.

The speaker icon in the bottom bar has a red X, and the sound setting page says "no output devices found" and "no input devices found". I have uninstalled all the hardware drivers and let the scan for new hardware find them all. The Device Manager shows the hardware, and doesn't list any issues. Everything looks like it should work. Apple Software Update says I am up to date.

BTW I get the Mac startup chime through the internal speaker.

Has anybody else seen this? I want to see if I can solve it before reinstalling Win10 from scratch.

Thanks all!

J.

SPECS:

MacPro 5.1
2 X 5680
64 gb
RTX 2080ti
all SSD

Bootcamp 5.1
BootROM: I cannot remember the version on here, but I think it was the latest before I got rid of OSX. I dont know a way to see it in Win10.
Win10: 21H1 19043.1237 up to date.

Apple Cinema Display - using USB audio

Don't know what other specs might help . . . .

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
Regarding the BootROM version, you can see the version number in Windows 10 by running System Information. It is listed under "BIOS Version/Date" and should be 144.0.0.0.0. If it is not, see the first post of this sticky thread at the top of this forum about upgrading your BootROM:

Your audio problem almost certainly is unrelated to the BootROM. I agree that the first step should be to reinstall the Boot Camp drivers.

Last edited:

JBreckeen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
Thank you both for the answers. I know it sounds stupid but what would be your suggestion on the best way to reinstall the BootCamp drivers on Win10?

There is the Boot Camp Services under Add/Remove Software. And then what version of BootCamp to put back on?

I have already done the Brigadier download, and it said this version of BootCamp is for Win 7. I then manually installed several of the drivers, but still the same issue.

This is the details for the installed version of BootCamp:

File Version: 6.1.7600.13
Product Name: Boot Camp
Product Version: 6.1.0.0
Size: 90.0 KB
Date Modified: 5/18/2021 12:39
*even though the About BootCamp says version 5.1

Now in case it does matter, my BootROM and System info is:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MACPRO
System Manufacturer Apple Inc.
System Model MacPro5,1
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Unsupported
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5680 @ 3.33GHz, 3458 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5680 @ 3.33GHz, 3458 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Apple Inc. MP51.88Z.0085.B00.1802021746, 2/2/2018
SMBIOS Version 2.4
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Apple Inc.
BaseBoard Product Mac-F221BEC8
BaseBoard Version Not Available
Platform Role Workstation
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1151"
User Name MACPRO\email
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 64.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 58.1 GB
Total Virtual Memory 73.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory 65.6 GB
Page File Space 9.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

This is from the System Info/Components/Sound Device:

Name USB Audio Device
Manufacturer (Generic USB Audio)
Status OK
PNP Device ID USB\VID_05AC&PID_1105&MI_00\7&13177E54&0&0000
Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBAUDIO.SYS (10.0.19041.1202, 205.00 KB (209,920 bytes), 9/14/2021 18:20)
Name High Definition Audio Device
Manufacturer Microsoft
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0091&SUBSYS_10DE12A4&REV_1001\5&24355AA8&0&0001
Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\HDAUDIO.SYS (10.0.19041.264, 420.00 KB (430,080 bytes), 5/12/2021 18:07)
Name Realtek High Definition Audio
Manufacturer Realtek
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0885&SUBSYS_106B4200&REV_1001\4&1F7A1B12&0&0001
Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\RTKVHD64.SYS (6.0.1.5936, 1.91 MB (2,001,056 bytes), 9/16/2021 07:52)

Thanks much all!

J.

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm writing this from memory as I don't have my Mac Pro in front of me, but there is typically a separate entry for each driver in the Add/Remove Software window. If you can find an entry for the audio driver there, then remove that, reboot, and reinstall the driver. You will have to install manually, as you said; the drivers won't install automatically on Windows 10. For the audio, you should be fine installing the Mac Pro release of the Boot Camp drivers.

The installer should clearly say it's for the audio driver when you run it, so you will know when you have the right one.

If removal and reinstall in this way still does not work, if you delete the audio device from Device Manager, is there a checkbox in the confirmation dialog to also remove the driver for the device? If so, try that and then reinstall.

Regarding your BootROM (again, probably unrelated to your current problem), you are running version MP51.88Z.0085.B00, which is old and does not have current CPU microcodes (see this post by Alex for confirmation). It is vulnerable to the Spectre and Meltdown attacks, as well as other problems. At your convenience, I recommend following the instructions in the first post of the BootROM update thread to update it at least to MP51.0089.B00 and then, if you have a Metal-capable graphics card, to 144.0.0.0.0.

GermanS

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
Hello all.

I have a 5.1 that is solo-boot to Win10 from the harddisk (there is only Win10, and no other OS's). Yes I know, I know; but this is a graphics workstation and we all know the issues with OSX and modern graphics cards. This with a RTX 2080ti serves me very well for my work.

Everything has been perfect with it, but after a Win10 update a couple of versions ago, I have lost all audio. I waited until the next (latest) update to see if it would be fixed, but no joy. There have been no hardware changes, and only Win10 updates.

The speaker icon in the bottom bar has a red X, and the sound setting page says "no output devices found" and "no input devices found". I have uninstalled all the hardware drivers and let the scan for new hardware find them all. The Device Manager shows the hardware, and doesn't list any issues. Everything looks like it should work. Apple Software Update says I am up to date.

BTW I get the Mac startup chime through the internal speaker.

Has anybody else seen this? I want to see if I can solve it before reinstalling Win10 from scratch.

Thanks all!

J.

SPECS:

MacPro 5.1
2 X 5680
64 gb
RTX 2080ti
all SSD

Bootcamp 5.1
BootROM: I cannot remember the version on here, but I think it was the latest before I got rid of OSX. I dont know a way to see it in Win10.
Win10: 21H1 19043.1237 up to date.

Apple Cinema Display - using USB audio

Don't know what other specs might help . . . .

GermanS

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
I had the same problem too. until I wrote a USB flash drive in the MBR format. + native drivers via BootCamp. or windows 7, then update to 10 windows. I recorded on a dvd disk windows 7 ultmeit in the Mac Pro itself. and booted from the disk. everything works perfectly.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
you guys can use brigadier to download the audio drivers.

I did just 21H2 legacy install via the VirtualBox real disc method & Brigadier's help with bootcamp drivers. After all set up with VirtualBox just plugged the drive what I hooked to an USB Sata Adapter in an Sata Port and it booted right away.

A few pix I took:

1. download 7zip, Brigadier needs it to unzip

1. download 7-zip.png

2. install 7zip

2 install 7-zip.png

3. Install Brigadier (https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/releases/download/0.2.4/brigadier.exe)

4. run Brigadier with brigadier -m MacPro5,1

3. brigadier -m MacPro5,1.png

5. cmd as admin, walk thru the directories and install Broadcom bluetooth and Realtek audio drivers

5. Install Broadcom Drivers.png

6. install Realtek Audio Driver.png

6. run Brigadier with brigadier -m iMacPro1,1

7. brigadier -m iMacPro1,1.png

7. cmd as admin, walk thru the directories and install iMacPro1,1 Bootcamp drivers

8. install iMacPro1,1 bootcamp drivers.png

after reboot BootCamp control panel is installed

9. after reboot bootcamp is installed.png

note: the internal Mac Pro speaker does not work, analog and digital audio output work.

update drivers as usual.

edit: after updating to Windows 11 even the internal speaker worked.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.