Mac Pro 5870 & Displayport 1.2

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by keantan, Nov 15, 2013.

1. keantan macrumors regular

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered already but the search function appears to be disabled.

Does the Mac Pro 5,1 (with the HD5870) support Displayport 1.2? I know that some of the MacBook Pro's do (mine does). But when I tried to enable DP1.2 on my Dell U2913WM, the screen goes blank.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. DigitalVT macrumors member

DigitalVT

Don't understand how to enabled DP 1.2, and don't know a whole lot about it, but you don't specify how your connecting to the Dell monitor. Have you tried connecting via analogue, ie VGA. Maybe an odd HDCP issue!? And if so, have you tried DVI EDID emulators like DVI Detectives or Parrots as a work around!?

3. keantan thread starter macrumors regular

Apologies for not clarifying this.

The Dell monitor is connected via mini-displayport out to the full size displayport input on the monitor.

If I leave the monitor in DP1.1a it works fine. No issues here. What I was wondering was, is that in the event I want to use the daisy chaining feature on the monitor (which requires DP1.2), would the 5870 support this out the box?

To be honest, I haven't tried DVI Detectives or Parrots yet. Thanks for that, will check them out :)

4. MacVidCards Suspended

Does 5870 even have that? Mighty old card now.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I doubt it. The displayport 1.2 spec wasn't even finalized until late 2009. The PC version of that card started shipping in early 2010 IIRC. I would be really surprised.

6. keantan thread starter macrumors regular

Haha exactly my question. I assume by your response that it probably doesn't. It works fine for what I used it for at 1080p (playing some light games like portal), but I've upgraded my monitor and the resolution has increased significantly so it's starting to struggle a bit.

Will start looking at an upgrade sooner or later. Can still set the games to 1080p for now though :)

Thanks guys

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

No mDP/Thunderbolt 1 Mac supports 1.2. This will come with Thunderbolt 2.
    What exactly do you expect enabling DP 1.2 in this display? Daisy chaining?

8. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Think the OP already answered your question:

Lou

9. keantan thread starter macrumors regular

Yes daisy chaining.

Thanks, didn't know DP1.2 was only supported by Thunderbolt 2, not 1.