Mac Pro 6,1 buying advise needed.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by caronjohann, May 19, 2017.

  1. caronjohann macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 9, 2017
    #1
    Hey all,

    I have been using a 2011 iMac at home and am in desperate need of an upgrade. I work as a photo/video editor (Adobe programs mostly). When working my main preference is a dual monitor matte display set up. Currently the only appealing option is the Mac Pro (refurbished are now priced more reasonably). I was hoping to wait for the new one but I don't think I can hold out that long. I considered a hackintosh but don't want to deal with any tinkering when it comes to getting work done. but My question is if I invest in this machine now will it have a poor resale value in 1-2 years If I decide to upgrade to the 7,1 when released. Any thoughts or advise would be much appreciated! Thank you.
     
  2. pat500000 macrumors 604

    pat500000

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2015
    #2
    It would have poor resale value no doubt. Now, if its worth it then thats different story. If you make more money than what you invested in then oh yeah...worth getting it.
     
  3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

    Yahooligan

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Location:
    Illinois
    #3
    If you're worried about buy-in cost and resale value then maybe look at getting a cMP 5,1 with a good GPU to tide you over, since you use Adobe then something with a newer, flashed Nvidia GPU would work well. Cheaper to buy and shouldn't lose as much value as the 6,1 in 1-2 years. You should also see GPU computational performance equal to or higher than the 6,1. For example, I have a GTX 1080Ti eGPU connected to my nMP and with LuxMark the 1080Ti eGPU score with OpenCL is virtually identical to the score of BOTH my D700s combined. Honestly, I think the 1080Ti should be higher but I can only expect so much from an eGPU connected over TB2. :)

    Don't get me wrong, I like my 6,1...but I wouldn't buy one today.
     
  4. saulinpa macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2008
    #4
    Why are you desperate for an upgrade? Just wanting new versus slow or failing?

    A nMP is the hassle-free option as long as it meets your needs. In a year the amount you spent won't matter. And who is to say you would buy the 7,1 when it arrives?

    Also I don't know what you need but some people spend more on monitors than the CPU.
     
  5. caronjohann, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

    caronjohann thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 9, 2017
    #5
    Great thanks for the input guys! @saulinpa Ya desperate because my current Mac is slowing me down and starting to have video card issues. I get the spinning ball more often then not and usually have a ton of tabs and multiple windows open. Its hard when my machine doesn't feel snappy. I realize I could throw in an SSD and replace the card but if im going to spend anything on an upgrade I feel it should be for a new workstation where I can have two displays. The displays are important for me too but I have to say I have grown to dislike the reflective display on the iMac.
     
  6. scoobs69 macrumors regular

    scoobs69

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2009
    #6
    I'm still seriously considering a 6,1 6-core Mac Pro. The $2,500 clearance price is almost too good to pass up a for the Mac Pro, it's a great value. I could stuff 64GB of memory in there, and still save a bundle. The GPU thread gives me a little pause.

    If you need a new computer now, and it's a workstation you depend on, then get one now. There is no telling when Apple is going to announce (much less release) a new work station in a Mac Pro or iMac form.

    If you want a Mac Pro, indications are saying mid-2018 before the new one gets released. At the earliest. Can you wait 12-15 months for uncertainty?

    If you need it now, get it now. Check Apple's refurb/clearance page.
     
  7. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

    DearthnVader

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2015
    Location:
    Red Springs, NC
    #7
    Unless you really need multi CPU/Thread performance then I would be more inclined to buy a new iMac.
     

Share This Page