Mac Pro (6,1) Help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by menano, Jun 12, 2015.

1. menano, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015

menano macrumors regular

menano

This is definitely not the first time this happens, and it is starting to get to me.

I woke up this morning to a restarted computer and an error message and my Mac Pro is not even 1 year old

It was not performing any task (at least not an important one). I have performed renders for +30 continuous hours that were stressing the computer to the max, and nothing like this ever happened

Can someone please help me understand why this is happening, and should I do something about it?

Thanks!

2. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

Your machine should be under warranty. Take it to the Apple store and let them worry about it. Also, make sure you get it acknowledged before the warranty runs out. That way even if they don't swap parts to fix it now they should in the future.

3. menano thread starter macrumors regular

menano

Thanks for your input!

Yes it is still under warranty plus I have a 2 year insurance on it - the biggest problem is that there is no such thing as an Apple store in Portugal

Though through the warranty I can probably get a brand new one, first I'd rather try and understand what is happening and why

4. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

5. menano thread starter macrumors regular

menano

Yeah I found it too, but I do not have a RAID array or nothing of the sort, and my RAM is fine (which is the other cause they found probable on that thread)

Might have to take it in to where I bought it but I really wanted to avoid that

6. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

Have you tested you RAM? You don't have any external drives?

7. Mago macrumors 68000

Try disconecting the USB3 devices, mine uses to get weird when I plug an portable HDD to it (losing wifi, expulsing other devices including the USB3) this happenns on the nMP as well the mini, not on rMBP, if the problem is the USB3, you may try plugging the same device on another port, this was usefull on my mac ini too.

8. menano, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

menano thread starter macrumors regular

menano

Thank you both for your help. I can't believe I only saw this now..

It happened again, but this time with a different error message:

9. menano thread starter macrumors regular

menano

And again and again, it's almost every night now.

I really didn't want to take my computer in because I know it's going to take ages and I can't afford not to work..

I have been turning all the peripherals off to make sure it's not them causing this, so only my Apple Thunderbolt monitor, Apple keyboard and (ugh) Microsoft mouse. Could one of these still be the cause?

10. Mago, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

Mago macrumors 68000

after discard peripherals, its time to blame CPU/Memory/Logic Chipset, i'll bet on an CPU thermal wear related error, the error also suggest it, better send it to Apple in Spain, as long is an official center will repair it under warranty, contact about shipment, may you need an courier box or something alike.

11. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

12. menano thread starter macrumors regular

menano

It seems I can't even do that

Attached Files:

13. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Last 2 KP logs indicate GPU problem.
    Time to visit Genius Bar or Authorized Service Provider as machine is under warranty.

14. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

It does indeed look like a GPU problem to me as well.

I've used Apple warranty and AppleCare a few times. I have twice made arrangements for Apple to ship the new product before returning the old (they paid for shipping). This usually involves them putting a charge on my credit card but charges are immediately reversed when the old item is shipped back. Perhaps you can work something like this out so as not to have much downtime.

15. menano thread starter macrumors regular

menano

Thanks guys

Since I got it I always feared gpu problems because it whines when I run a heavy game or 3D render

I'll have to see what my best option is!