Mac Pro 6,1 (Late 2013) Thunderbolt ports

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by michael_aos, Apr 5, 2015.

1. michael_aos macrumors 6502

I struggled with a 512GB Buffalo DriveStation Mini Thunderbolt Dual-SSD Drive Raid-Enabled Solution aka SSD-WA512T from OWC.

Talked to Buffalo tech-support. Buffalo's tech-support is terrible, so I returned the device the OWC.

I purchased an OWC ThunderBay 4 mini RAID and 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD's (MZ-7KE512BW).

Wound up having similar issues with the new configuration, which prompted me to experiment with using different Thunderbolt ports on my Late 2013 Mac Pro.

Turns out I see very different behavior, depending on what's plugged-in where.

I've been poking around in Google, but so-far I haven't seen anything that explains these differences.

Is the way the Thunderbolt bus is initially scanned to determine boot-devices documented anywhere?

2. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

What sorts of issues are you seeing? There are three sets of TB busses, and for optimal speeds you want to spread usage across them.

3. SuperMatt macrumors 6502

SuperMatt

It's not clear what your struggles are. Are you unable to boot from a thunderbolt RAID?

4. michael_aos thread starter macrumors 6502

When I power-on the Late 2013 Mac Pro and hold-down the "option" key, several of the boot-devices don't show up.

Once the machine is booted, they're all visible from System Preferences --> Startup Disk, but I can't actually boot from them.

I haven't divined all the possible combinations, but -- for example:

If I have a Thunderbolt device plugged-in to port-5 (bottom-left, bus 0, port 1), any boot-devices in port-6 (bottom-right, bus 0, port 2) are ignored during the boot sequence.

Along the same lines, if I plug something into port-1 (top-left, bus 1, port 1), the boot-devices on port-3 (middle-left, bus1, port 2) are ignored on power-on.

And in the same vein, if I have a boot-device in port-2 (upper right, bus 2, port 1), the boot-devices on port 4 (middle-right, bus 2, port 2) are ignored.

----------

Thunderbolt Device Tree:

Thunderbolt Bus 0
    ThunderBay 4 mini​
    ThunderBay 4​

Thunderbolt Bus 1
    LG 34UM95​

Thunderbolt Bus 2
    GoFlex Desk Adapter Thunderbolt​
    Thunderbolt Display​