Mac Pro 6 hard drives + optical, Maxconnect, anything cheeper?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TK2K, Dec 20, 2008.

1. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

2. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

Don't but at the posted prices

Ask to sign up for their specials and wait for a discount offer.

I just wrote and did that. I won't pay $130 for $10 worth of parts.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Get yourself access to a milling machine and made them yourself. Alternatively, create the brackets from a aluminium sheet.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

DIY skills are always handy. ;) :D

PCB material works quite well as well, if it's available.

5. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

That's pretty cool.. but why don't they have actually installed pictures? Only graphic overlays as far as I can tell.

6. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

So, what kind of special did you get? Please let the rest of us know...

Does the maxconnect bracket use the Molex connector?

7. TK2K thread starter macrumors 6502

TK2K

none at all, completely ignored by them

8. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

$129.00 ?? :eek:

Man those MaxConnect folks must be on crack.

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

10. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

They are losers. I can only imagine they don't post pictures because there is nothing to them. No one would buy a $10 piece of sheet metal with a couple of screws with stand-offs for $130.

I'm interested in something like this. Perhaps we can make an offer for a joint purchase. Anyone else?

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Just use a DOA 5.25" optical drive. Worst case, buy one really cheap (second hand if possible). If you want stand-offs, there's plenty of places you can buy those, and they aren't that expensive either. ;) You'd need a tap and die set to thread the holes, but they're also rather inexpensive, especially if you only buy the size tap you need. (You can also just drill a hole, and add a nut, if you order the versions with longer threads).

In the end, it's definitely cheaper than the $130 the ready-made part goes for. ;)

12. ranplett macrumors newbie

So what do you think it is really worth, given the cost of parts, development, marketing, etc. for a system that someone who doesn't have a lot of time on their hands can quickly install?

13. ASFx macrumors regular

Wanted to give this topic a bump and see if anyone knows of a cheaper solution. Paying $89 for a mounting bracket just seems silly.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

No, not really. You'd have to DIY something, which is quite doable, and inexpensively as well. Look a couple of posts up. ;) Old CD/DVD drives (dead is ideal) are handy, but you can use other things as well (PCB material, sheet metal, even thin plywood from a hobby store). A bit more work (measuring and cutting), but not impossible to do.

15. ASFx macrumors regular

I've never made anything before in my life hah. I don't think that's an option. I don't have any tools, etc.

I was just looking for a decent way to put two hard drives under my optical drive without having to remove my optical drive. I suppose i could just set them in there on top of each other, but that could create heat issues.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's not hard to do.

You'd need a Phillips screwdriver, and a drill with a small bit (1/8" will do). If you use plastic or wood, you'd need a hacksaw as well. Not expensive, and you can possibly borrow this stuff, especially the drill (a cheap 1/4" electric us under $20USD last I looked). Screwdriver can be had for under $5, and the bit for $2.

Even if you have to buy the tools, it's cheaper than a ready-made solution. Otherwise, you're going to have to deal with the price such products sell for, as it's a niche market.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I paid for the sledges because I don't time or patience to make them myself. But the money was in the account and I could justify it.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

By the tone of ASFx's post, I took the impression the funds are an issue (can't stand the idea of spending that much on such a simple item rather than the availability of funds).

For limited time, buying a ready-made solution makes sense. But if the time isn't an issue, and funds are, then making something is a strong alternative. It doesn't have to be pretty, as it's hidden away in the case. ;)

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

Assuming that's the case, maybe an eSATA card would be a better idea (SIL3132 cards can be had for ~$25USD; Silicon Image produced OS X drivers), as they can boot Windows drives as well (ODD_SATA ports in '06 - '08 systems work with OS X drives, but can't deal with Windows disks, BC or otherwise).

If booting OS X is desired, the ODD_SATA ports make much more sense, as they can. Inexpensive eSATA card's can't (no EFI firmware). There's only one eSATA card that can boot OS X, and it's $229USD at OWC (Highpoint eSATA for Mac). Not exactly cheap. ;)

20. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

to some users, it isn't silly. to some it is tough to justify such cost.

back to your request for a cheaper solution. have a read at this rather famous diy rig - link
    you should be able to modify it to suit your needs.

p.s. comes with free popsicles, well not totally free, you still have to pay for them unless you are resourceful enough to get lots of the somewhere ;)

21. TK2K thread starter macrumors 6502

TK2K

I have not come up with a great solution to this yet :(

22. gotzero macrumors 68040

It is about $100 for the 2008 version after shipping. I bought this from them along with a bunch of sleds. I am perfectly happy with the products. You are likely paying a 500%+ markup, but it is what it is. The Pro Caddy 2 is a nice solution. Not mentioned, the 3.5" version (which I bought for more options) has mounts for 2.5" drives. Doing it again, I would have done the same thing and bought it.