Mac Pro 8 Core - iTunes and Quicktime Crashing.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by finchwizard, Jul 9, 2009.

1. finchwizard macrumors member

finchwizard

I've had this Mac Pro for about 3 or 4 months I suppose.

And lately, Quicktime and iTunes have been crashing just randomly. Sometimes straight away on startup and it takes 4 crashes to actually stay open, other times it's fine straight away.

I've done tested the Machines RAM with Memtest and Rember, pulled it out and put them in different slots and put the RAM back down to 2GB.

Deleted all the preferences, new accounts, repair permissions, all the usual stuff.

In the end I just got the ***** so reinstalled the whole OS onto a different hard drive. Fresh install, latest updates, and does it again with Quicktime and iTunes. It never really seems to affect any other programs. (I did get Adium crash today, but that's very very rare)

Anyone else having issues with 10.5.7 ?

Mac Pro, 8 Core, Dual 2.93GHz
    12GB RAM
    ATI 4870

It's really bugging the crap out of me, and I've tried nearly everything I can think of.

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

3. aibo macrumors 6502

4. finchwizard thread starter macrumors member

finchwizard

iTunes Library is local. Under ~/Music/iTunes Library/ etc

And yep, that thread looks like it.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Well that is not good. I have the 2.93 Octo with the 4870 I haven't seen this problem yet. I've had this machine about 2 months now so I'll be watching for problems.

My iTunes is on an external. I had the same issues with iTunes crashing before a HDD failure not with this Mac Pro but with an old iMac. The HDD would unmount and then iTunes would crash. That was the reason I was asking about the library location.

6. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I've had the same problem, I'll login and iTunes will crash, now that I know it's with the 4870 that makes a lot of sense... hopefully they fix the issue. :(

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

damn, thats a crappy problem.

why dont you try 10.5.6 and the old iTunes/QT until a new release is released??

8. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Same problem here 2.26 Octo and 6GB of ram and running 10.5.7 with all the updates

i have two GT120 cards though

itunes always hangs/crashes - though i've started to notice it does it more when timemachine is running

9. ekwipt macrumors 6502a