Mac Pro - 8800: no display output / DOA - help please

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vdrummer, Feb 28, 2008.

1. vdrummer macrumors newbie

MacPro 8 core Nvidia 8800, RAID card - arrived 2/25. NO OUTPUT TO DISPLAY/LCD MONITOR.

Tried second monitor; monitor is blank (and turned on, and says "digital signal" when unplugging display connector from the machine, so it's recognizing the connection, monitor is fine on old G5)

RMA'd for a new 8800, rec'd that on 2/28 - same result, so it's probably not the card. Tried 8800 card in different slots, so probably not a slot.

Ram lights flash, HD spins, power light is on, so likely not power supply.

2 questions:
    Any ideas on what might be wrong? Motherboard or RAM is only other thing I can think of, or maybe some kind of incompatibility with the 8800.

Also, the fans on both 8800's run at what seems like full power when turning the machine on - is that typical for the 8800? Maybe that's a symptom of the problem; it's a lot louder than I would prefer.

Brought the machine to local apple store today, 24 hrs. or more to diagnose (ugh!). Thinking it might be better to take them up on offer of new box.

Thanks.

2. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Just a wild guess, but it might be the DVI cable. The DVI cable that came with my HP monitor doesn't make a connection with my 8800GT (an NVidia reference board) unless I screw it into the card VERY tightly. The same cable works on the ATI 2600XT just fine even if it's barely plugged into thecard.

Failing that, maybe something wrong with your system install (drivers?)
    Try booting from the CD.

Yes, the 8800 fan runs at full speed until the computer is a few seconds into the boot.

3. vdrummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks; I'll try a different cable if I get a reoccurrence with the new box. It came with the wireless keyboard and it hangs at startup, so I need to try another keyboard. I didn't research ways to open the drive door when you can't use the "C" key.

When the machine comes on, the 8800 fan runs at full speed and stays at full speed until I power it off, so I guess that's an indication that it doesn't finish booting. Your reply is much appreciated!