Mac Pro &a Air vs MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ericsd05, Jan 14, 2017.

1. ericsd05 macrumors newbie

ericsd05

Howdy guys!

I have a 2009 8 core Mac Pro and I'm debating if I should upgrade my Mac Pro and purchase a MacBook Air for when I need to travel or If I should sell my Mac Pro and go with a upgraded 2015 MacBook Pro with dedicated graphics and dock it when I am home. I mainly use my Mac for photography and media creation. I also dabble in video editing and website creation. If you were in my shoes what would you do?

2. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

How much can you sell a 2008 8-core Mac Pro for? I gather not much. I would just keep it. And, get a refurb 2015 15" MBP or 13" MBP....

The reason why you may need to skip the Air is that the screen of the Air aren't as good as the IPS Retina screens of the newer models of MBP's... that may come in handy for photo work, I think.

Just my 2 cents...

PS... I think the reason I may go for refurb 2015's is that you don't need to buy new dongles to connect to them. And, they're just as quick. The only "must" have of the 2016 MBP's, in my view, is the higher gamut screen. But, it's not like the 2015 screens are that shabby, either.

PSS... oh, and TB3 capability is another one of those new tech that might prolong the longevity of the 2016's. But, that depends since TB3 devices are new and pricey.