Mac Pro ACPP question (UK HE store)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Transporteur, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Hi guys
    I purchased a Mac Pro last year from the UK HE store including the ACPP which I tried to register now.
    Unfortunately it seems as if they haven't provided a registration number. At least I couldn't find one.

The thing is, although the computer is not listed in the list of my other ACPP covered products, the Apple Service and Support Coverage page says that it is covered until 2012.

Seems as I've got kind of a extended warranty, not Apple Care though. They send me some AppleCare products like the handbook and diagnostics CD, but not the standard little box they usually ship.

So what now? Do I better purchase an extra ACPP for the Pro?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

When buying through HE store in UK, you get automatically 3-year warranty. AC only extends the phone supports to 3 years and if you bought it at the same time, it has been auto-enrolled so you don't have to worry about it.

3. Transporteur thread starter macrumors 68030

So although it doesn't show up in the list of my other covered products, I'm fully covered in the EU till 2012?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes and AC is worldwide so you are covered all over the world. You can still call Apple and confirm that if you're suspicious

5. Transporteur thread starter macrumors 68030

That sounds good! :) ACPP for desktops is limited to a specific region (in which you bought the desktop) though. But that's ok to me.

Thank you very much!

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I bought an ACPP in US and enrolled here in europe without any issue (Mac Mini, so a desktop)

7. Transporteur thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac Mini is not considered as a desktop.
    However, it doesn't matter where the ACPP is bought, what counts is the region you bought your computer (Mac Pro and iMac). If that's for example the UK, you won't get any hardware support in the US.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

show me WHERE it is considered as a notebook then ...

true, but you were speaking about ACPP being limited to a specific region. You can buy ACPP where you want ;)

9. Transporteur thread starter macrumors 68030

It also isn't considered to be a notebook. ;) Seems to be a separate category.

There you go:

10. grue macrumors 65816

Desktops are worldwide as well, and have been for quite some time.

11. Transporteur thread starter macrumors 68030

Do you have any source for that?

This is what my ACPP User's Guide says (printed, came with the computer):

So basically, just western europe is covered.

12. grue macrumors 65816

Weird. It's clearly stated on the AppleCare pages:

Because Apple designs the computer, the operating system, and many applications, the Mac is a truly integrated system. And only the AppleCare Protection Plan gives you one-stop service and support from Apple experts, so most issues can be resolved in a single call.

Direct access to Apple experts
    Global repair coverage
    Onsite repair for desktop computers: Request that a technician come to your work site
    Carry-in repair: Take your Mac or Apple display to an Apple Retail Store or other Apple Authorised Service Provider

If your plan was included with the purchase as part of it being a higher-education purchase, it's possibly not "real" AppleCare, but a crippled version. I bought my machines through Apple's "Key Customer" program here, which falls under something similar: I get on-site coverage, and carry-in hardware coverage, but no phone support.