Mac Pro Airport Extreme card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by onehandoneheart, Aug 11, 2009.

1. onehandoneheart macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I want to add a Airport Extreme card to my first generation (2006) Mac Pro. My serial number is G86380EKUPZ. Which Model #/Part # card would I need and where can I find them? I called my local Apple store and they told me that they could install it for me but they aren't allowed to order the part...? Weird.

Also, while I'm asking, I'm interested in upgrading my graphics card. I read somewhere that the ATI Radeon HD 3870 will work. Is there anything else you guys could recommend? I'm gonna be working in Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.

Thanks for your help!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Only the Wi-Fi card... and Bluetooth. Otherwise, very upgradable.

I'd say find it on eBay and bring the card and computer into an Apple Store or reseller.

3. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Wireless Card Screws?

Hey guys, as a related question to this, does anyone know what size the screws need to be to install the wireless card?
    Or do you just need to guess them?

4. onehandoneheart thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess what I meant is, try to go to Apple's website and find official support information on what you can buy to upgrade your graphics card or how to add Bluetooth or Wi-Fi...that info is hard to come by. Otherwise, I agree that the Mac Pro is very upgradeable as far as adding hard drives, memory, etc.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I had a really really hard time finding the right card. I hope it goes better for you.

6. onehandoneheart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Do you have the first generation Mac Pro?

Does anyone know the model/part/whatever # I need to look for? My serial number is posted in my first post if that helps with anything.

7. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Depends on who you get; I added the bluetooth board to my MP; one store gave me your story, and another said "oh, yeah, we have those, I'll go get you one".

8. sbb155 macrumors 6502

go to macsales (OWC) and get a USB wifi key instead... if you dont want to install
    the apple stores install the airport card if you want internal