Mac Pro and apple display - quick isight question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TwoBytes, May 17, 2009.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Just a quick one;

Can the 2008 mac pro support isight on the apple cinema displays?

And

Can the 2009 mac pro support isight on the apple cinema displays?

bonus question - the buyers guide says don't buy - anyone hoping for a new one this year?

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

re: the 2009 Mac Pro and the Apple LED Cinema Display (assuming you mean the LED cinema display as the previous cinema displays do not incorporate an iSight) - then yes, it does.

I don't see a reason why the 2008 Mac Pro would not support the iSight either, as the speakers and iSight are connected via the USB lead. As long as the Mac Pro is running the latest Leopard drivers then it should work fine. Getting the video signal from the 2008 Mac Pro to the LED cinema display is another matter entirely ;)

The buyers guide is refering to a possible new model other than a 24", i.e. a 30" LED to replace the previous gen 30".

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Why would you want to use the outdated iSight?

I have a MacPro with display and have the QuickCam Vision Pro for Mac. An amazing mac webcam with excellent clarity (many comments from others on skype, google chat). The best part: no drivers. Just plug in and it works with PhotoBooth, Skype, etc..

4. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I wanted the Apple LED cinema display just to complete the setup!

the apple wepage seems to contradict itself with it being compatible or not..

RE the connection - is it just one lead from the macpro to the display or do you need to make sure you have a mini display port on the graphics card? (for isight to work)

Thought it may be a joke - seriously, has there been problems getting video across!?

thanks for the help!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The non display functions of the new cinema display, such as speaker and isight is connected via USB. That's described on the product page.

6. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

more usb ports taken...dam.

thanks for the help!

7. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Yes it takes up one USB on the Mac Pro, but there are 3 free USB slots on the back of the cinema display, so you don't really lose any...