Mac pro and display???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by m1stake, Mar 4, 2008.

1. m1stake macrumors 68000

Hello, I'm thinking about buying a mac pro later this year, with an 8800GT and an Airport Wi-Fi card. I was also planning on adding 8GB of OWC memory, in four 2GB sticks. I'd sell the original 2GB to OWC for $55.

I love OSX and have been using Macs since i was 3, but I also love playing competitive games like COD4, Halo, Team Fortress 2, etc. Don't bother telling me that it'll be cheaper to build a box. I know, I did it eight months ago. It's a hassle. I'd be happier to just erase the partition every 3 months in OSX.

Anyway, one thing really bothers me: a display. The current Apple displays are beautiful, but their response time is absolutely unacceptable. I have a nice NEC currently on my PC, but I don't want to take it away from that. That display is also discontinued. I'd prefer a normal screen ratio (4:3). Do you guys know of any really nice monitors with good response time, contrast, etc? Also 19", 1280x1024 is what I'm looking for primarily. Newegg's stock didn't impress me much either.

Has anyone heard any rumors of a ACD update by the way? I wouldn't mind that either.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Of course, there are always ACD rumors these days; built-in iSight, glossy (NO.), better specs...

I got two Soyo DYLM24D6 displays on Black Friday last year for $500; the price of ONE 23(4)" ACD. I was just going to wait for the update, but two for the price of one was too good to pass up.

You could conceivably go for the Sceptre 24" monitor; I was looking at those at the time I was shopping around. They tout a 2ms response time, which I think is ludicrous, so they're "faster" than anything else I've seen.

If you want the resolution smaller for games, each game has a setting for that. Get the extra space now and get a 24". 1920x1200 is beautiful.

3. m1stake thread starter macrumors 68000

I decided to wait for new displays. I will buy whatever Apple produces, and expect no problems with quality, because these are made for professional photoshop and final cut work that require accuracy. No such color issues like the iMacs ;p

4. termina3 macrumors 65816

haha, you have high standards. It's not all in the numbers.

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

People with these ridiculous gaming standards make me sick. It's a video game for crying out loud.

6. Fujilives macrumors newbie

The response time is quite good, what they have listed on their site and how it performs to a Samsung rated at 4ms sitting right next to it ... well frankly it leads both me and the Samsung owner to believe they are pretty much fabricated numbers, either by apple or other monitor providers, since the screen was ridiculously fluid on both.

We tried the same with the -new- dell 24 inch FP monitor, and it performed the same. At this point I'm lead to believe they could change that number to a 4 if Samsung can get away with it, and suddenly everyone would be in love for no good reason.

7. Jonny427 macrumors regular

I don't see any ghosting on my 23" cinema playing COD4, HL2, crysis, etc.

8. m1stake thread starter macrumors 68000

You can play a game with ghosting.

You can drive a car without a seat.

But why would you want to when screens with faster response or cars with seats allow you to enjoy playing/driving more?

You're "testimony" on the 23" is reasuring, it's probably what I'd get if they didn't update by the time I decide to buy.

9. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

A millisecond is a thousandth of a second.

10ms is 1/100 of a second. Most games play at ~50FPS. In one second your monitor refreshes 100 times. 50 frames per 100 refreshes = 1 frame per 2 refresh cycles. Unless your playing at over 100 FPS even a 10ms display is fine.

So .. does one want the cheezy monitor with the lower refresh made by 10 yr olds in Malaysia or a nice one made by adults in China?? :)

edit I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm sure some gam3r dude will correct me.

edit 2: yeh I thought about it, we're talking delay not refreshes, disregard all I said.

edit 3:

Okay did a little research, and a 17ms delay kills about one image per second where most LCD's refresh at 60Hz and most games don't play over 60FPS. Figure your mouse can kill up to 8ms, your video card takes at least one more, I'd say in most cases the delay is pretty negligible. Here's where I get this from.. and they compare actual models.

edit 4: and there's 2 methods of testing, grey to grey and off to on. Some companys like Samsung apparently, use grey to grey to get their numbers down- but this isn't the same thing as off to on which obviously takes longer. Okay I'm done researching it hurts my head. My Apple 20" plays EQ2 and WoW without any problems I can see regardless.

10. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

I haven't seen any problems gaming on my 30" Apple Display - I still slaughter PC users on Unreal Tournament 2004. And as for looking for a normal 3:4 aspect ratio monitor, if you live in the US or Canada, you better get used to the 16:10 aspect ratio monitors. The 3:4 aspect ratio monitors are dying out, just like their TV counterpaarts.

11. m1stake thread starter macrumors 68000

What kind of frames do you get playing unreal with an X1900 on 2560x1600?