Mac Pro and dual 24" ACD monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by entatlrg, May 18, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Does anyone have dual 24" Apple Cinema Display monitors hooked up to their mac pro?

If so how did you hook it up, buy and adapter or?

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

You have to have two graphics cards so as to have two MDP ports.

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well, I don't know if various same-gender adapters could be hooked up in the right order to produce an image, as there is no DVI->MDP adapter... Sanity suggests that DVI->DVI to DVI<-MDP to MDP->MDP is possible, but the daisy-chain probably screws something up somewhere. I remember somebody here had dual 24" ACDs, but I can't remember where I saw it right off hand. You may have to buy a new GT120, as it looks from here.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

No DVI->MDP adapters currently exist so the only current solution is to use multiple graphics cards.

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

^+1

The gender-changer scenario I proposed really is only for those who have time and money on their hands. Has it been confirmed that gender changers and the MDP->DVI adapter do not work? I didn't think it was (and should have put in a disclaimer when I posted), and even if somebody says it works, another GT120 is probably the better option.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

How would this work exactly? The MiniDisplay Port, USB, Magsafe three in one cable is only 44 inches long. I would guess that if you could fit the Mac Pro and both display's on a table then it might just work, but will require 2 graphics cards. Either the Radeon 4870 and 1 GT 120 or 2 GT 120's. There is still no extension cable for the MiniDisplay Port cable.

7. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

Here is a video of a user on Youtube that hook up two 24 LED ACD on to his Mac Pro so it's possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjXZjzQt440&feature=channel_page

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone