Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cp2222

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2006
So I've heard that the Mac Pro is not shipping with Front Row? I have spoken to numerous apple stores and heard mixed things. Most have said they just don't know what is going to happen, however a couple have said that they assume Apple will ship all Mac Pro customers some sort of add-on that will include an infrared sensor and remote. Does anyone even know if the mobo would support the addition of an infrared sensor or has anyone heard anything else on this?

Thanks!

CP

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
According to the Kenote from WWDC, once Leopard is released all macs will come with Front Row and Photobooth. They have included both as part of the operating system. You will have to wait for Leopard.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
cp2222 said:
So I've heard that the Mac Pro is not shipping with Front Row? I have spoken to numerous apple stores and heard mixed things. Most have said they just don't know what is going to happen, however a couple have said that they assume Apple will ship all Mac Pro customers some sort of add-on that will include an infrared sensor and remote. Does anyone even know if the mobo would support the addition of an infrared sensor or has anyone heard anything else on this?

Thanks!

CP

here's your answer. mac pro shipping prior to leopard will not have front row on them. Apple is not going to build a sensor into future mac pros either, customers would complain too much, along with G5 owners. So the solution will be to release the sensor into their cinema displays. This will happen at either macworld 2007, or sometime in the spring near the public release of leopard. The reason for this is apple will make their displays HDCP compatible for blu-ray and HD-DVD along with throwing in an isight too boot and their little I/O hub in the back.

Tyler

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Front row IS included with the Mac Pro... but

I just put in my 2 Raptor drives to create a raid 0 stripe and reinstall OSX...

Went into customize my install, removing a bunch of print drivers and languages and under "Bundled Software", Front Row IS listed and checked by default to be installed. So, it does get installed, its just not enabled for some reason. Gotta use some of the front row enabler hacks out there I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.