mac pro and ichat

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jwsplcr2@mac.co, Jul 13, 2007.

1. jwsplcr2@mac.co macrumors newbie

hello all .....I am going to buy a MacPro soon and am just wondering the best way to do ichat on this computer....since there is no camera, what device do you all suggest works best and all with ichat software and mounts the best near or on the computer..? I have not found much info on this and am looking to find a way to use this. I have a 24" imac and use ichat all the time with friends and family as a vid chat and transfering files. Any and all opinions and help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. SolidShadow macrumors member

Too bad Apple doesn't make it any more.
    I have the same reservations as you. If I'm spending that much on a computer/monitor it would be nice if it came with the same options as the consumer model built in.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

No

There are plenty of iSights available, it will just take a little longer.

If you're hangup on buying a Mac Pro is that it doesn't have a built-in camera, you should really reconsider why you're buying one.

Nearly any firewire cam works, though. Including most DV cams.

5. SolidShadow macrumors member

Perhaps I should have said "questions" rather than "reservations". Regardless as a thinking individual I know full well why I would like a Mac pro and I don't need a peanut gallery opinion on reconsidering anything. Or to be more snarky and short, No.

PS. I don't feel like a hangup.
    :)

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

If you're such a thinking man, you'd know that I simply omitted the word "only" in there.

Thanks for belittling my comment though. Always nice to be of help.

7. SolidShadow macrumors member

At least you used "You're" right this time.
    :)
    Plus reading comprehension tells me that "only" doesn't have to be there to qualify the sentiment. It's still an unnecessary statement.

Just snarking you man. I figured with a signature like "I'm surrounded by Idiots" it would have been expected.
    Cheers!

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I'm tired, I'm hungover and the damn broad wouldn't leave until after I made her breakfast this morning.

I hate days like this.

9. SolidShadow macrumors member

Heh, tell me about it. I'm in the office and half the people aren't here. So I'm doing everyones work.

But back on topic. If you were to buy a web cam for a Mac Pro right now which would you suggest? Because I am actually interested and you're an apple retail guy.

Apologies for the snarky too. I'm normally just playful in demeanor.

10. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Any of the newer webcams designated as "Works with Vista" will work with the Mac... I have a Logitech Fusion [on sale at Circuit City for $39 after rebates]... and it has awesome picture quality.

Beware however... OSX 10.4.10 disables the microphone on INTEL Macs on 90% of USB webcams. Apple is aware of this issue, but very slow in responding to fixing it. 10.4.9 works perfectly.

11. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Wow, looks like I'm not the only drunken Phoenician on this board.

on topic: I'd buy a DV cam with firewire. They're twice the price of the isight but they work better and are also a camcorder which is awesome.

Just take out the tape before you plug it into your computer, otherwise it'll 'go to sleep'

What's also cool is that they work with standard tripods and mountings, unlike the isight which only works with cheap plastic clips that use clamps and 'hope' to fix to your stuff.