Mac Pro and Macbook Pro - How to sync data between them.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Inconsequential, May 10, 2009.

1. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Ok I have a mac pro and Macbook Pro here and I'd like to do the following:

1. Have some way to sync contacts between the MP and MBP, my iPhone syncs with the Mac Pro.

2. Sync files, namely the mail folder, documents, iTunes etc.

Now for No. 2 CCC with its addon might be ok, but is there any other ways?

I am NOT buying mobile me, as its twice as much as Im willing to pay for a hosting service!

So any options? :)

Thanks.

2. hsppud macrumors newbie

I've been searching for the same answer (and i have Mobile Me).

Mobile Me - aside from the cost - you could use backup to iDisk - but it's very slow and it's not a sync. I tried compressing the file and sending it to iDisk - not bad - but not great - and - it's not a sync!

ChronoSync - could not get it to see my MBP

Martian Slingshot - pretty good actually for synching folders between 2 computers. Not sure it can do what you want.

Crash Plan - also not bad if you can get it to work - again I had trouble getting it to recognize my MBP.

At this point I've decided to do it the old fashioned way - I'm gonna buy a 16 GB USB Key and when I take the MBP to a client or out of town - I'll just load up my files and go. This sucks - but so far I haven't come up with any better option.

If you find something, let me know.

AK

3. tdevers macrumors regular

I'm also looking for a solution to keep my Power Mac and Macbook synced. ChronoSyn didn't work for me either.

4. biochemcompsci macrumors newbie

Synk works for me

I use Synk Pro to synchronize folders between multiple computers and the network file server(s) at work. This has worked well for me.
    http://www.decimus.net/index.php

5. duky macrumors 6502

Win Live Sync

Windows Live Sync. I use it to sync the Music folder from my iMac to MacBook and it works wonderfully..

sync.live.com

All you need is a free Windows Live account and it allows you somewhere in the range of 20,000 files and unlimited amount of data (my Music folder is 50GB)..

I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a syncing solution for a large amount of data. It's really fast too, over a home network or over the net..

EDIT: It even allows you to remotely browse the files on either of your computer through their web interface, it really is great.

6. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

ChronoSync - it was one of the first apps I purchased when I switched to Mac and it'd be the last one you'd have to prise from my dying hands. :D You can achieve the same using rsync in Terminal, but ChronoSync just makes it all so easy.