mac pro and macbook pro.. what one is for me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tjespo22, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

well im stuck far behind with a ibookG4... it has a 40gb hard drive with 1gb of ram.. I am a photographer and do alot of work in photoshop, lightroom. I was going to go with the macpro and just connect it to my samsung 23 LCD tv screen.. however, whenever i go somewhere i bring my laptop with me.. to edit photos on the road, upload photos.. i could always plug in the mbp to my tv screen if i wanted a desktop.. however, of course the mac pro has alot more power and more upgradeable.. plus the mac pro is alot more expensive compared to the macbook pro.. I would use it for all of my music, Photoshop, lighroom, uploading photos, firefox and ichat... i was going to just format my ibook and use that on the road but im afraid it will not be powerful enough for what i need.. when i try to edit a photo in lightroom, it takes forever.. the circle colorfull wheel comes on ever time.. also, does anyone know if the mbp will run counter strike source? thats the only game i would play on it " i would prob partition the hd and just use windows to play that game."

thanks alot
    espo

2. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

What I believe, once you go laptop, it is very hard to go back. I know I tried and failed portability is always a great luxury. Macbook Pro has lightyears more power than your iBook. Just my $.02

3. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

true. i always find myself laying on my bed wit it, plus if i get a desktop i cant watch tv and go on the comp at the same time :rolleyes: lol

4. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that since photoshop is more ram intensive than processor intensive, you could go with the 4 core mac pro which I'd more in line with the price of a mbp.

But in the end, only you can decide how much you would benefit from the portability.

5. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

I'm really leaning towards the mbp . Even my iBook runs photoshop, but has a hard time with lightroom

6. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

IMO, the MBP is definitely the wtg for photography. For video it could be either or both, but for the photographer on the go the choice is obvious to me and that choice is portability. You simply don't need to the raw horsepower and upgrade-ability of the MP. The MBP is more than capable of running LR, A, etc. as well as PS with plenty of headroom to spare AND you can take it with you.