Mac Pro and Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ssls6, Nov 18, 2013.

1. ssls6, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Who's using Mavericks with their Mac Pro? How is it working out?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I've been hanging/crashing. But I've been using windows more so it hasn't really affected me.

Waiting for new updates to see if they fix my issue.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Running smooth for me. Current up time is 6 days.

4. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Been running on my MP since GM1, very few problems. I sleep the machine manually at night, and reboot often, so you might have a different experience. I know the mail issue existed, but that's fixable; even Apple has released a fix for it to developers.

5. MassMacMan macrumors regular

I just updated my Mac Pro to Mavericks yesterday. So far, other than the well-known issue with the Mail app and Gmail, it's working fine. I love having my menus on all my monitors.

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I am having a sleep issue (not entering sleep mode), but other than that it seems fine so far.

----------

Yeah ... that is a big improvement. Now, if it would just recognize the inside corner actions for each monitor ... :D

7. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I have it running on a 2012 3.2GHz quad with OS X Server. All pretty good except the fact the Server app is always so buggy and crashes all the time :(

8. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

I've been using OS10.9 on my MP (2009 2.66 Quad) since day one of the update and it's stable, fast and compatible with all my apps save for Toast 7. And many of my apps are "legacy," e.g., CS5.5 Creative Suite, Bias Peak Pro, Quicken 2007, etc. The only issue I've had was my external FW drives will not sleep even when ejected. USB drives are fine.

9. chris.k macrumors member

Did the deed this past weekend

MacPro 2009 Flashed 5,1
    3.46 Xeon
    GTX 670

Everything working perfectly fine. I did a CUDA test and I *think* I'm getting the higher 5.0GT/sec on the "stock" Apple Drivers too. Sleep works fine.

Wife's applications (VPN, Juniper Secure Access Manager, etc, working fine).

10. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Working great for me. I had to patch Halo to run normally, but that's it. For me it's quicker and very solid.

11. Fastsavage macrumors member

Fastsavage

Been using it for a while now with nothing too scary happening....

12. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I've got a Mac Pro 4,1 with 5,1 firmware. It's been upgraded with a 3.33 GHz hex core, a GTX680 flashed with the EVGA Mac edition ROM, and a home-rolled Fusion Drive.

I updated to 10.9 on release day and have had no issues whatsoever.

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Using Mavericks and Windows, on our MP 5.1 Hex...both O'S's boot from SSd's...both run fine. We did however have issues with Windows 8...mostly the lack of drivers, so the Mac is currently running Mavericks and Win7.

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Been using Mavericks from the first beta till now on a '08 Mac Pro, 8 x 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Radeon 7950 Mac Edition, SSD boot volume.

Since the "first GM" I have used it as my primary OS, and things have been great!
    One of the best things: no more screen flikkering on the 7950 like I had with Mountain Lion.... :)

15. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Mavericks running fine on my 3,1 with GTX 680. Bootcamp still not ideal as still running SATA2 via separate sled SSD and not using it on the Solo X2, though using Windows 7x64 Pro. Even if it could support Windows Hate/.1 I wouldn't bother installing it as I've found though the platform itself is far more stable than Vista using the damn thing as a desktop computer is a far worse experience.

16. Schismz macrumors regular

Works with no problems. MP 5,1 12-core, did clean install as always, installed onto RAID0 SSD + Tempo Card for boot, the installer actually worked correctly this time around (Unlike Lion and Mountain Lion, both of which failed to install to RAID0 and required installs to a single drive, then cloning to RAID).

Overall system responsiveness is much faster.

It's caching like crazy, out of 48GB RAM, I'm getting about 28-32GB in use, while just running normal apps, the OS finally seems to be doing something useful with all that RAM.

No significant problems. Apps which have not been specifically updated for Mavericks continue to work as expected.

Very happy with it!

Except OS/X server, which broke VPNs, but it's not critical for me personally.

iTunes sync is gone, but OS/X server kind of takes care of local syncing, so it'd been fine after setting it up to sync my contacts, calendars, etc, to iPhone and iPad (No thank you to uploading personal information into iCloud, which is the only sync option in Mavericks. Endless thread here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23643652?ac_cid=tw123456#23643652 75 pages and counting).

17. dotsfilmes macrumors newbie

I'm still on Snow Leopard, but I'm getting a GTX 780 flashed, is it better to jump straight to Mavericks? Or go with Mountain Lion?

I mainly use Final Cut Pro 7 and Adobe Suite CS5.5 and CS6.

MacPro 5.1.

18. ssls6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Since a lot of these guys have done clean installs, it doesn't matter.

19. leon771 macrumors regular

4,1 with dual 2.93ghz quads and 32GB RAM. Bootcamp in sled 1, OWC SSD with 10.9 in 2, then 3TB drives in 3 and 4 for data back ups, clones etc.

I've found my boot times are around a minute now, with most of that time my screens being black. Once the grey Apple logo pops up then its back to regular SSD speeds again.

On my EFI selector page I have about 6 drives I can potentially boot from. Not sure if Mavericks does some kind of check on these that ML didn't. I do have my proper boot drive selected in system preferences though.

20. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I haven't done a clean install since I transitioned from a Power Mac to a Mac Pro around 2006.

21. ssls6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssls6

I haven't been so successful with Mavericks. I have been testing it since DP1 and there are things I struggle to make work properly.

1) iTunes wifi sync stops working after waking from sleep. Takes a reboot to get it back. I'm syncing two devices.

2) Firewire drivers are flakey…very long to mount and won't sleep

3) I've had a crash or two back to the login prompt. The error looks like an access violation for my GTX680 but I'm not sure.

These issues exist for me and I've tried both upgrade installs and clean installs (I mean squeaky, no migration). It's good to know others on similar hardware are not having any issues.

22. scottsjack, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

scottsjack macrumors 68000

I had Mavericks running on a WD RE 4TB HD and later moved it to a Crucial SSD.

Mavericks is working pretty well with the following well-documented issues;

It shuts down either very fast, within 30 seconds or after several minutes depending on unknown causes.

Sometimes it will wake from sleep only to the grey screen. Then it must be forced off and restarted.

There is a noticeable lag between selecting a folder in Finder and seeing the contents, seems like 15 seconds or so after Finder is initially opened.

I do not use most of OS X's tablety social media so I have no idea how Messages, Facebook and Twitter work.

Oops, forgot; Sometimes the trashcan does not show that it is full. That happens both on my Mac pro and MacBook Pro.

23. MattDSLR macrumors 6502

24. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

It poops its diapers?

25. MattDSLR macrumors 6502

LOL
    Works well for me with out above lol