Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Who's using Mavericks with their Mac Pro? How is it working out?

Last edited:

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Been running on my MP since GM1, very few problems. I sleep the machine manually at night, and reboot often, so you might have a different experience. I know the mail issue existed, but that's fixable; even Apple has released a fix for it to developers.

Comment

MassMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
Boston MetroWest
I just updated my Mac Pro to Mavericks yesterday. So far, other than the well-known issue with the Mail app and Gmail, it's working fine. I love having my menus on all my monitors.

Comment

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I am having a sleep issue (not entering sleep mode), but other than that it seems fine so far.

----------

I just updated my Mac Pro to Mavericks yesterday. So far, other than the well-known issue with the Mail app and Gmail, it's working fine. I love having my menus on all my monitors.

Yeah ... that is a big improvement. Now, if it would just recognize the inside corner actions for each monitor ... :D

Comment

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
I've been using OS10.9 on my MP (2009 2.66 Quad) since day one of the update and it's stable, fast and compatible with all my apps save for Toast 7. And many of my apps are "legacy," e.g., CS5.5 Creative Suite, Bias Peak Pro, Quicken 2007, etc. The only issue I've had was my external FW drives will not sleep even when ejected. USB drives are fine.

Comment

chris.k

macrumors member
May 22, 2013
YSSY
Did the deed this past weekend

MacPro 2009 Flashed 5,1
3.46 Xeon
GTX 670

Everything working perfectly fine. I did a CUDA test and I *think* I'm getting the higher 5.0GT/sec on the "stock" Apple Drivers too. Sleep works fine.

Wife's applications (VPN, Juniper Secure Access Manager, etc, working fine).

Comment

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Did the deed this past weekend

MacPro 2009 Flashed 5,1
3.46 Xeon
GTX 670

Everything working perfectly fine. I did a CUDA test and I *think* I'm getting the higher 5.0GT/sec on the "stock" Apple Drivers too. Sleep works fine.

Wife's applications (VPN, Juniper Secure Access Manager, etc, working fine).

Working great for me. I had to patch Halo to run normally, but that's it. For me it's quicker and very solid.

Comment

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I've got a Mac Pro 4,1 with 5,1 firmware. It's been upgraded with a 3.33 GHz hex core, a GTX680 flashed with the EVGA Mac edition ROM, and a home-rolled Fusion Drive.

I updated to 10.9 on release day and have had no issues whatsoever.

Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Who's using Mavericks with their Mac Pro? How is it working out?

Been using Mavericks from the first beta till now on a '08 Mac Pro, 8 x 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Radeon 7950 Mac Edition, SSD boot volume.

Since the "first GM" I have used it as my primary OS, and things have been great!
One of the best things: no more screen flikkering on the 7950 like I had with Mountain Lion.... :)

Comment

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Mavericks running fine on my 3,1 with GTX 680. Bootcamp still not ideal as still running SATA2 via separate sled SSD and not using it on the Solo X2, though using Windows 7x64 Pro. Even if it could support Windows Hate/.1 I wouldn't bother installing it as I've found though the platform itself is far more stable than Vista using the damn thing as a desktop computer is a far worse experience.

Comment

Schismz

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Works with no problems. MP 5,1 12-core, did clean install as always, installed onto RAID0 SSD + Tempo Card for boot, the installer actually worked correctly this time around (Unlike Lion and Mountain Lion, both of which failed to install to RAID0 and required installs to a single drive, then cloning to RAID).

Overall system responsiveness is much faster.

It's caching like crazy, out of 48GB RAM, I'm getting about 28-32GB in use, while just running normal apps, the OS finally seems to be doing something useful with all that RAM.

No significant problems. Apps which have not been specifically updated for Mavericks continue to work as expected.

Very happy with it!

Except OS/X server, which broke VPNs, but it's not critical for me personally.

iTunes sync is gone, but OS/X server kind of takes care of local syncing, so it'd been fine after setting it up to sync my contacts, calendars, etc, to iPhone and iPad (No thank you to uploading personal information into iCloud, which is the only sync option in Mavericks. Endless thread here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23643652?ac_cid=tw123456#23643652 75 pages and counting).

Comment

dotsfilmes

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
Salvador - Bahia - Brasil
I'm still on Snow Leopard, but I'm getting a GTX 780 flashed, is it better to jump straight to Mavericks? Or go with Mountain Lion?

I mainly use Final Cut Pro 7 and Adobe Suite CS5.5 and CS6.

MacPro 5.1.

Comment

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I'm still on Snow Leopard, but I'm getting a GTX 780 flashed, is it better to jump straight to Mavericks? Or go with Mountain Lion?

I mainly use Final Cut Pro 7 and Adobe Suite CS5.5 and CS6.

MacPro 5.1.

Since a lot of these guys have done clean installs, it doesn't matter.

Comment

leon771

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Australia
4,1 with dual 2.93ghz quads and 32GB RAM. Bootcamp in sled 1, OWC SSD with 10.9 in 2, then 3TB drives in 3 and 4 for data back ups, clones etc.

I've found my boot times are around a minute now, with most of that time my screens being black. Once the grey Apple logo pops up then its back to regular SSD speeds again.

On my EFI selector page I have about 6 drives I can potentially boot from. Not sure if Mavericks does some kind of check on these that ML didn't. I do have my proper boot drive selected in system preferences though.

Comment

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I haven't been so successful with Mavericks. I have been testing it since DP1 and there are things I struggle to make work properly.

1) iTunes wifi sync stops working after waking from sleep. Takes a reboot to get it back. I'm syncing two devices.

2) Firewire drivers are flakey…very long to mount and won't sleep

3) I've had a crash or two back to the login prompt. The error looks like an access violation for my GTX680 but I'm not sure.

These issues exist for me and I've tried both upgrade installs and clean installs (I mean squeaky, no migration). It's good to know others on similar hardware are not having any issues.

Comment

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I had Mavericks running on a WD RE 4TB HD and later moved it to a Crucial SSD.

Mavericks is working pretty well with the following well-documented issues;

It shuts down either very fast, within 30 seconds or after several minutes depending on unknown causes.

Sometimes it will wake from sleep only to the grey screen. Then it must be forced off and restarted.

There is a noticeable lag between selecting a folder in Finder and seeing the contents, seems like 15 seconds or so after Finder is initially opened.

I do not use most of OS X's tablety social media so I have no idea how Messages, Facebook and Twitter work.

Oops, forgot; Sometimes the trashcan does not show that it is full. That happens both on my Mac pro and MacBook Pro.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.