Mac Pro and new keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hogmog, Aug 21, 2007.

1. hogmog macrumors member

Does anybody know if the mac pro is now shipping (or will be shipping) with the new keyboard? I would have thought the two would have looked really good together though the wireless version might not be quite the business because of lack of numeric keypad etc. Anyway would be interested to hear if anybody who has received a Mac Pro recently has got a new keyboard with it.

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Not gonna happen until the MP revision happens in November.

Not gonna happen until the MP revision happens in November.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I asked the online chat representative, and they said they couldn't find any evidence that mac pro's were currently shipping with the new keyboards.

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

What makes you think the revision will be in november ?

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

The wireless version sucks, they better add numpad support since they discontinued the old one...

6. hogmog thread starter macrumors member

Whilst the language is a bit strong ;) I have to agree. As someone who enters a lot of numeric data from questionnaires I had to go out and buy a standard keyboard to work with my Power Book. When I eventually get saved up enough money (or Apple cuts the price) the last thing I want with my new Mac Pro is half a keyboard.

I hope Multimedia is wrong, but in a positive way ie it is sooner. I have a horrible feeling though he could be right which will also mean no price cut until then either. Still it gives more opportunity to save up and refrain from too much beer! Just means my video work slips.

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Some people don't need the numberpad. I don't, I have the old wireless keyboard, but I'd rather have the new one.

8. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I've been using the numpad for graphics work since the late 90's....Mac Pro's are for graphics/music/film....trust me, the numpad is essential. In Final Cut Pro (Apples own application) you use the numpad to enter timecode on the timeline so you can shift the CTI around. How stupid is Apple by not having a numpad version? In After Effects, I use numpad 0 to preview renders....not to mention enter numerical values in layer properties and filters. It's not only for accounting.

9. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Just got my new mac pro last week.... ordered it form apple a few days after the imac release.

It came with the old keyboard, but ilife 08 installed so was a new build.

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I guess Apple assumes that serious desktop users don't need wireless. Truth is, I have a wireless and never put in on my lap. It's always just sits on my desk in front of my monitor. I've discovered that a wireless keyboard is overkill. I'll probably buy the new full keyboard wired version soon as they work the function key kinks out. I would prefer the wireless just to avoid having the wire... but like I said, it's overkill.

11. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Apple is surely making a mistake. I never use my wireless on my lap either, but the cable clutter is what's more important. What's it to Apple how we use our wireless keyboards? I have a Bluetooth module and I have no problems using a wireless keyboard.

I think ALOT of people are going to complain about this and Apple will eventually release a version with a full numpad.

12. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

Since I am not a big fan of wireless in general, to me it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I am sure it is for those who are. Keyboard and mouse wires don't bother me much. ;)

I use FCP daily basis and like my "old" colored keyboard. I wonder though how color keys would be produced for new keyboards. :rolleyes:

Cheers. :apple:

Attached Files:

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

That's my biggest concern, and why I think the new keyboard should be a consumer Mac only thing. I can see a lot of pros throwing that new keyboard out the window because they can't get any shortcut keys for it. They would have to rely on those crappy keyboard covers that fall off or the icons wear down. I don't think Apple designed the new keyboard with pros in mind, or they will make a designation for the old and new keyboard. The new one being the regular keyboard and the old one being the Apple Pro Keyboard.

14. mstell168 macrumors newbie

A friend of mine just got his new Mac Pro 8-Core delivered. Standard white keyboard. Ordered it from the apple store online lastweek.

15. peterm10 macrumors newbie

I called the Apple online store this morning and they said that the MacPros are now shipping with the new wired keyboard (I made sure she understood I was talking about the new one released this month). However, the retail store I called said the MacPros they have in stock have the old keyboard (not surprising).

I don't feel 100% confident that if I order the MacPro online that I will get the new wired keyboard though....

Peter

16. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

My assumption is that they are using the Mac Pros (and the education white iMacs) to dump the excess inventory of the old keyboards. And that once supply is down, they will ship the new keyboards.

But like you, I wouldn't feel confident on which keyboard you will get.

If only the wireless keyboard had the number pad, I may have been persuaded to buy a new one. As it is, I don't need to have any more cables.

cheers.

17. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I don't need a labeled keyboard for FCP or AE, it's all in my head my friend :)

18. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

19. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

Some people do and some don't. I know most of short cuts (without looking at the keys) but guess I still belong to the first. That's OK as long as I can get my job done. :)

Check this out. LogicKeyboard for FCS 2.

20. peterm10 macrumors newbie

Well, I called Apple again to ask about the keyboard, and this time they said the MacPros are shipping with the OLD keyboard. So I have absolutely no expectation of getting the new one unless I buy it separately (which I might do).

How good/bad is the old keyboard?

Peter

21. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I bought the new wired one and I must say I don't like it too much. Other than the cool factor at the office, it is harder to type on and I make more mistakes. The keys seem to require a definite hit and I end up with missing lttrs.

I don't think this new keyboard is going to work for anyone who does a lot of typing.

Cheers,

22. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

I like my "old" current keyboard. They're just fine. :) Have no desire to switch over to the "new." Yet. ;)

23. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

What I can't believe is that Apple isn't selling the old keyboards as well. I mean, c'mon, this new keyboard is a drastic change from the old. Not just a visual change, but a fundamental change in how one types.

I guess for those of us that like the old ones, we better stock up now.

-Kevin

24. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Watch eBay become filled with these going for $100 and up :(

25. funaifdd macrumors newbie

I just bought a MacPro and I checked with the sales guy on the phone and it ships with the old white keyboard. Bought one of the new ones to go along with it as well.