Mac Pro and New Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dpaanlka, Aug 22, 2007.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I bought the new Keyboard and downloaded and installed the Keyboard software update. The iTunes controller keys work, but they cover up what used to be the Expose and Dashboard keys.

The new Expose and Dashboard key do not work though. What's that about? There is an fn key just like on MacBooks and PowerBooks so that I can use the function keys normally, but who wants to do that?

2. abmet macrumors newbie

I added the new keyboard to my Mac Pro, and the new Expose and Dashboard keys both work for me. I have the 2.66 dual core, did the update through the system prefs, and had to reboot after.

3. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yup my Expose (All Windows) and Dashboard keys are not working. Thats what the F3 and F4 keys on the new keyboards are supposed to do right?

4. jarednt1 macrumors member

Mine as well

Mine as well, however I believe it’s the same for all existing machines.

However I have yet to try it on my MBP.

5. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

Yeah, same for me. Try hitting the function button at the same time. Did the trick on mine (although it's annoying).

6. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

The Dashboard and Expose keys work fine for me on my Mac Pro.

Try toggling the 'Use F1.. as standard function keys' on/off in System Prefs / Keyboard?

7. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yeah did that... but that requires you manually set F3 and F4 as the Expose and Dashboard keys, which isn't how its supposed to work. And then the iTunes keys dont work without fn.

8. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Interestingly I've just connected keyboard to my MacBook and installed the update and I'm having the same problem with the expose and dashboard keys.

The 'caps lock' light also doesn't work on my MacBook, where it worked fine on the Mac Pro.

Weird.

Edit: Just a thought do you have VMWare Fusion installed? I wonder if that's screwing with it somehow.

Edit2: Just noticed the caps lock key light does work, it just has to be pressed for a moment, rather than lightly tapped.

9. un1ty macrumors member

I had the same problem, and found the solution recently. This issue with F3 and F4 only happened with my Dual G5 and not with my MBP.

In a nutshell, you have to use Pacifist to reinstall Dock.app from your original OS X install CD (Choosing "replace"). Then you have to use Pacifist to install Dock.app again but from the 10.4.10 Combo Update but this time using "update". Then you reinstall the keyboard software.

Be warned though the first time I did this it kind of screwed with my Dashboard a bit. The "Done" button on the back of the widgets are misaligned. For the patient ones, I would just wait for an update from Apple.

Btw, the new keyboard seems to conflict with Logitech Control Center, which I had to uninstall because it wouldn't let my computer sleep while my new keyboard was plugged in.

Here are the detailed instructions on how to fix your keyboard:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070822091317748

Hope that helps! ;)

10. katy macrumors member

Same was happening to me. Yesterday i reinstalled Mac OS X (on a macbook) and after installing the update once again, the f3 and f4 keys worked :)

So if you can be bothered that is another solution?