Mac Pro and new webcam!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soop53, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

This probably should go on a different forum but I have been searching for a webcam for my Mac Pro.

I finally ordered the Logitech Pro 9000 from Newegg. I received it Tuesday. Plugged in the USB and was up and running with out a problem. Running beautifully on the Pro. I also downloaded and using Skype...works flawlessly!

What awesome clarity and ease of use. No drivers yet to use the full abilities of the camera. But the pictures are awesome and the sound is right on. Family on the other end are impressed.

Just another impressive demonstration of the beauty of my Mac Pro.

2. JonR356 macrumors member

Glad to hear that cam works well. That's useful info.

I'm not sure the fact you can use a standard webcam is much of a demonstration of the beauty of the Mac Pro, but glad it's working for you.

3. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I haven't tried this yet, but I wonder if you can "set" the camera to a closer zoom range using Parallels/Fusion in Windows, and have it stay that way when you quit back to OS X....Seems like one of the major features of the webcams that doesn't work on Macs is being able to zoom in closer.

I have the Logitech Orbit AF...looks great, and it doubles as a convenient mic too.

-Bryan

4. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Thanks for posting this... exactly what I was looking for, even though I wasn't looking for it when I found your post!

5. ComeOnDieYoung macrumors member

man a web-cam? i didn't think computers would get any cooler than CD-ROMS! I guess i'll wait 2 months to look a web-cam in the new edition of Groliers.

6. caspiyoav macrumors newbie

Logitech pro 9000 - Not as great as I expected...

hey guys,
    Don't mean to curb your enthusiasm, but I too have the pro 9000 - and I'm not as impressed as I expected to be.
    Don't get me wrong - it's a great cam, works well, good quality, good sound and had absolutely no issues with it.

However, my girlfriend has a macbook and so I have the opportunity to test them one against the other, and I must say - not much difference. I expected the pro 9000 to be much better the the tiny isight, but it isn't.

Maybe its because it can't show-off its full potential because of lack of drivers, but that doesn't really matter, does it?
    For now, from what I can tell, it doesn't deliver the amazing HD picture it promises.
    Still a great cam though.
    Yoav

7. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Logitech QuickCam Vision MP vs. MBP

I was interested in the report that caspiyoav indicated that the Logitech Pro 9000 performed at least as well as a Macbook's built-in cam. Unfortunately I'm not seeing very good performance with the Vision MP for Mac, the Logitech USB cam for the Mac. It works o.k. but I'm getting a lot more picture noise. It improves with more light, but it still doesn't look as good as my 2 year old MBP 2.16's cam.

Is there any chance improved drivers would help this? Of course it is probably up to Apple for the Leopard drivers to support this.

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Dumb question, but worth knowing...

Will this cam work with iChat AV?

9. caspiyoav macrumors newbie

pro 9000 and leopard

It does, and skype, and photobooth, and any other application on leopard.

There are no issues of compatibility, only that since there are no compatible drivers I think we're not getting the quality hat window users do and that is promised by logitech.

10. yoomy macrumors member

i can recommend the old isight for the mac pro. it looks quite awesome together with an ACD or right on the table. it also works well with skype supporting the "new" 640x480 resolution which else only certain logitech cams do because of a special deal between skype and logitech.