Mac Pro and Pro Tools 8 (buy now or wait?)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by spacetycho, Jan 27, 2009.

1. spacetycho macrumors member

spacetycho

I have been holding off for the 'new' mac pro like everyone else but have done some thinking and have some questions. I appreciate the help in advance.

I am now upgrading my home studio. I am buying the Pro Tools Digi 003 Rack+ and Command 8 controller. I need a new computer to run them. I can rent a Mac Pro for about $400 a month, on a month to month plan. It makes sense if the 'new' ones are coming out in the next few months but there lies my issue.

If I wait what are the chances that Pro Tools and my plug-ins will not be compatable or need new drivers with the 'new' mac or release of snow leopard? How long could that take? Then it's like I have everything but can't use it. And what if there are hardware bugs?

I figured Pro Tools 8 was built for the current Mac Pro, and while the 'new' one will be faster, I don't know if I would even max out the current model. I could pull the trigger next week for sure.

The last time I bought a Mac it was upgraded a few months later anyway. I still got 7+ years out of it and counting.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Digidesign (at best) usually runs about 6 months behind the curve. I wouldn't feel bad about buying the current one at all. And i wouldn't bet on them supporting anything new from apple fast enough to make it worth renting a machine.

3. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

Thanks. I figured there would be some time to catch up. Even if it's 3 months it's too long.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Mac Pros hold their resale value (2 and a half year old $2,499 Quad Core 2.66GHz systems go for $1,500-$1,800) so you are better off buying a used or refurb 2.8GHz system (adding some memory from transintl.com or macsales.com) and then selling that rather than renting. If you can deal with the financial overhead you could also keep it through your introduction of a new Mac Pro to your setup.

5. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

Based on any probablility that Pro Tools and 3rd party plug-in software drivers and updates will take some time after a 'new' Mac Pro release I would just buy a current model Mac Pro now rather than renting. Then I wouldn't buy the 'new' one when it came out at all.

I just want to make sure that i am covered on function and speed and that I won't need to even max out the current model to get GREAT function and speed.

6. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

now what?

All of this news of available 'new' processors is making me more confused. Now what?

I wish I wasn't itchin' so much to upgrade my studio. Any suggestions?

Will Pro Tools 8 and plug-ins be compatible with the new hardware? If they don't change the OS i should be fine, right?

Man, I wish :apple: didn't have so much control over us.

Please help. I want to buy now but don't want to be left in the dust. I mean, how slow can an 8-core 3.0 with 8GB of RAM be?

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

no thats not right. and i told you my suggestion... hardware matters with PT.

8. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

Would this make the most sense? Just buy a current model regardless of the 'new' release. Use it for a year or so, since i think it will be plenty speedy, and then, after all the bugs, if any, are worked out and just upgrade when I need to?

We are right on the cusp of a release. I just hate buying something right before the 'new' one comes out. But then again, at least we know it's compatible and fast, just not 'new' fast.

Thanks for all your help.

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

yes it would. and yes, its going to be plenty fast for protools LE.
    (and i fixed your previous statement for you)

10. Modacke macrumors member

Modacke

The best thing to do is either buy a Mac Pro now or buy a refurb that isn't "pimped out" If you go with a Mac Pro now your still getting a great computer.

11. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I never understood why AVID (DigiDesign) products have so many issues with OS and hardware. You have to be careful all the time that you don't run software update ever, because it will break their programs.

Other high end software like FCP, Adobe CS, and others never seem to be this sensitive, it makes no sense.

Unfortunately I would get a current model Mac Pro because it might take Digidesign a whole year to qualify the Nehalem Mac pros and whatever point OS update they have pre-installed.

I wonder if Apple intentionally breaks compatibility with every software update. Either that or Avid and Pro-Tools are poorly coded.

I was thinking about getting Pro-Tools for sound design (because SoundTrack 2 is buggy as hell). But I am worried that it would be useless for me without the expensive DV ToolKit.

12. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

I have been running Pro Tools on a Digi 001 on a G4 Quicksilver 867mhz for 7+ years and have rarely had any issues. It is like a dream, just a slow outdated dream. That's why it's 'upgrade time'. I would never use anything else. Both Digigesign and Apple are very selfish companies when it comes to hardware and software. But they are the best and that's why 90% of studios in the world use them (i don't know the real percentage, just a guess, but it is high).

Now I just need to find the best deal on a Mac Pro 8-core 3.0 w/ at least 8GB RAM. Any suggestions. I am afraid of refurbs, I just like things new and shiny.

Cheers.

13. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

uh, I know this thread isn't about debating the quality of PT, but that's just not true. They're not the best, they were just the first.

90%? ha, not if you count the bajillion home and project studios that are out there now.

14. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

All DAWs have their +'s and -'s. Pro Tools is in most 'major' studios. Last year I sent my sessions to a producer across the country for mixing. Because he uses PT it allows a very easy transfer of files and any automation/plug in settings. PT is widely used and has set an industry standard. It may not be the 'best' but it is the 'best' for me.

I can care less about a bunch of kids and their 'garage band' home studios. I am about to drop 10k on a studio upgrade and just want what's best for my music production.

15. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yes, this is exactly what i'm saying.

who said anything about kids? i have about 30k in mine so far and wouldn't touch PT's with a 10 foot pole.
    i've also been in "Pro" studios that use the other perfectly professional choices on the market that have way better features for the money then PT's.

i stick by my original statement: PT's isn't "The Best", it was just the first. anybody that says otherwise is just ignorant and doesn't have experience with any of the other perfectly fine DAW's on the market.

16. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

What type of music do you record?

17. byrgenar macrumors newbie

Hi

Just the normal 2 cents (or pence in my case)

I'm sure you already know this but.....

I know the temptation is to go for the best hardware available. But....
    I do bits and pieces of post and a hell of a lot of recording (films and TV) and most of the guys i work with in soho are still on the dual G5's (PTHD, and a good, well made machine room) or 1st gen mac-pro's. I'm on a Quad 2.8MP with PTLE and I cant think of any reason to upgrade for quite a while. With LE, on a mac pro your limits are PTLE most of the time. not the mac. You can get A LOT by going refurb, the warranty is the same, and you'll be glad you saved the money when it comes to a good set of Dynaudio's (or similar).

In Reference to the first point. As mentioned above. Digi are always behind the curve, count on it being a year from now before using a stable gainstown rig with PTLE.

Hope this helps and good luck

18. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

yup, most the HD rigs at my work are still on G5s and they're all running perfect. (although PT HD has it's own DSP cards which helps)

19. byrgenar macrumors newbie

& on

"PT HD has it's own DSP cards which helps"

Absolutely. Clouds the argument a bit (sorry). In essence, if you are looking to learn PT/ provide a high degree of compatability with "pro" studios (whatever that means now) and have a good sequencer/audio workstation, PTLE is a good choice (native is only really a limit if Digi says it is :)rolleyes:), Per buck (£) Logic is great and Nuendo is outstanding). Whichever way you choose to go, you're gonna hit the PTLE wall before the Mac wall, most plug-ins are software revision dependent not hardware and your time mastering the smoke and mirrors is more important than pretty much anything else. If the time is right later HD3 is a manageable step. And with all things sound, within reason, the first and last transducers are normally the most important.

Best of luck

N

20. terrytee macrumors newbie

agreed

Although PT HD can be run on a g5 or even older mac if we make the assumption that the new mac pro will be i7 this will provide a dramatic improvement with regards to latency.

21. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

You still get a 1 year warrenty on a refurb just like a new one. AND you can buy apple care too. Am on my second refurb mac pro. No problems.

22. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

from what, 128 samples to 64? the main impediment with regards to latency is core audio and HDD speed, not the power of the machine (assuming we're talking about MP's or dual/quad G5's)

i agree with what byrgenar said, you're gonna max out LE way before the current gen. of MP's. and also that if you wait, it's gonna be quite a wait.

either way, it'll be a killen' system so it's not like you can really go wrong either way....:D

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Gainestown, not Core i7, and there are no assumptions needed.

It will not only be Gainestown, but there will indeed be great speed improvements.

24. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

The main difference between new and refurb is that the refurb ones are tested over and over again to make sure everything works perfectly.

New ones are not except the ones that are randomly selected for quality control.

Same warranty and everything.

The only other difference is you get a brown box instead of a nice shiny box with the Mac Pro logo printed on it.