Mac Pro and Skylake... Not until 2017?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by s!ke, Aug 4, 2015.

1. s!ke macrumors member

2. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Well it won't be the C602J chipset that need to worry about being replaced as that is for the E7 Xeons. Apple have been using the E5 Xeons. However yes you are right that based on that then looking at mid 2017 before the Skylake equivalent E5 Xeons and Chipset launch.

3. s!ke thread starter macrumors member

Sigh. I'm sad. Guess I'll just buy a used Mac Pro off ebay or craigslist or something now then. Anything I should look out for?

4. Stacc macrumors 6502a

The Xeon processors used in the Mac Pro tend to lag roughly a year behind their consumer counterparts. The Mac Pro hasn't been updated for about 1.5 years, which means its getting towards the end of the product cycle. Its likely Apple will update the Mac Pro before Skylake-EP is released. There is lots of speculation about this in the 2015 Mac Pro thread, but there have been very few rumors on when an update could actually be. Depending on your specific needs, you could wait for a new update, which will likely include a faster processor with more cores, faster graphics cards, a faster SSD and possibly thunderbolt 3.