MP 1,1-5,1 Mac Pro and Thunderbolt Display ?!?

frilli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2019
Hello to all,
I have a problem connecting the Mac Pro with a 27 "Thunderbolt Display, model A1407.

I saw around the internet that in order to use this monitor with the Mac Pro, you had to use a DisplayPort to Mini Displayport adapter, and for convenience a Displayport extension cable (I put myself in the picture), however nothing, no signal...

if instead I attack the Macbook Pro directly to the monitor cable all OK !!!

Question, but the Displayport port of the Shaphire RX 580 video card that I use ..... must be enabled ?? I also tried from Windows 10, nothing, no video signal arrives .... how can I solve? thank you.

P.S: Sorry for my bad english !!!

N.B. : Using the HDMI port on an HDMI 2K monitor I have no problems

Attachments

mattspace

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Hello to all,
I have a problem connecting the Mac Pro with a 27 "Thunderbolt Display, model A1407.
The Thunderbolt Display is a Thunderbolt device, that has a display built into it. It's not a display that can be plugged directly into a graphics card. Your Mac Pro doesn't have Thunderbolt, so it can't talk to the display.

There are hacky workarounds, but they require cold booting into Windows to "warm up" a Thunderbolt to Displayport mixer card.

rawweb

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2015
Apple made two nearly identical displays, the 27” LED Cinema Display (Mini DisplayPort) And the 27” LED Thunderbolt Display (thunderbolt 1.0). The only difference was thunderbolt allowed them a few more ports on the back all via one cable. The 27” Cinema Display was sold until the 2012 cMP was discontinued as apple no longer had Mini DisplayPort computers in the chain.

The Thunderbolt Display cannot be driven by any DisplayPort connection, thunderbolt only. There’s a convoluted workaround to add thunderbolt to a cMP but I wouldn’t advise that method.

frilli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2019
Thanks for the replies,

I have seen around the network that there are active converters from HDMI to Thunderbolt, from DVI to Thunderbolt etc .... do you think they can work?