Mac Pro and updates...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gloor, Jun 14, 2007.

  1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2007
    #1
    I know this thread was here many times so I'm sorry to bring it up again. I would like to buy my first Mac ever this summer and as I'm not in a rush I am curious when mac pro could get updated. If Intel releases Penryn in Q3 how long do you think we will have to wait till Apple adopts it? MWSF? Also, what is the chance that Mac Pro will get updated in next 3 months? I know that its all speculation but I am just curious about the possibilities. I don't want to buy my first mac and then realize that a month later I could get 2gb ram as default along with 8600GT. What do you guys think?
     
  2. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #2
    No one knows. It is all speculation of course. Trust me, if I knew I wouldn't even be posting around here about it. (Well I would to tell everyone else).

    Will it get 2GBs? We hope. 8x00GT? We hope. 3Ghz in case or octos all around? We hope.

    It really depends on what Apple thinks the eigt core addition was. Maybe they did that to stretch it out a bit. Who knows?

    I can tell you this. If Apple updated the graphics and base memory. I would buy TODAY.
     
  3. ryanlaing macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
    #3
    same here. i was hoping to see something at wwdc and pretty disappointed. im trying to decide if i should get a system now or wait another month or two and see if anything happens. even a year ago when it was released, the 1gb of ram and the graphics card were pretty mediocre base settings. hopefully it will get some updates soon. its just with the amount of money these things cost, its probably worth holding out a little longer.
     
  4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

    Wild-Bill

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    bleep
    #4
    Same here. But their update cycle is HORRIBLE. I'm waiting. I'm not willing to shell out that kind of money for those outdated video card options. NO way.:mad:
     
  5. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    #5
    Yes, if Penryn comes out in Q3 and the Mac Pro hasn't been updated by then, the Mac Pro could be updated at MWSF.

    I think that's always been answered best by this guide http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ which has rarely failed me.
     
  6. statikcat macrumors 6502

    statikcat

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #6
    I cant make myself buy right now. Why? Because when the Mac Pro gets new processors (after Intel cut most likely) and more ram and better gpu the current Mac Pro will drop in value probably around a grand. I am not about to spent 2.5k on a computer just to have its value plumet. We already know the severity that Intel is cutting prices.. no way I am buying a machine with 2x 700$ processors that are about to drop like crazy.. unless you make a lot of money with the comp you should wait.
     
  7. ob81 macrumors 65816

    ob81

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Virginia Beach
    #7
    Agree fully. Normally I wouldn't advise waiting, but with key quarters like Q3 and Q4, that you have valid intel on, waiting wouldn't hurt.
     
  8. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2007
    #8
    That is exactly what I'm waiting for. Intel is going to slash prices next month so I would expect Apple to either slash the prices too or upgrade it. I would rather want the upgrade than the discount. :)
     
  9. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

    DavoMrMac

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2005
    #9
    I too am waiting for this update, I can carry on my day-to-day tasks with my MacBook.

    As a journo, I know that Apple probably do not read all posts on all forums, but they defo take a look if threads are bought to their attention.

    So c'mon Apple, we know you have the clout to force price drops and chips out of suppliers earlier than release dates, so get an update online as soon as you can and reap the benefits.
     
  10. basicfiend macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    #10
    I'm want a new MP, but waiting until the EA games come out

    My money is on an update in the beginning of July to fit in with the EA games announcement. Probably add GeForce 8xxx cards to the graphics lineup and scrap the 7300 option. The ATI X1900 will become the base offering, but with Crossfire options. Also change to 2 GB ram standard. Probably not much happening in the processor area this summer though.
     
  11. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

    DavoMrMac

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2005
    #11
    Well, let us hope next week (or the week after) brings us what we want.
     
  12. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #12
    The X1900 won't become the base offering. If they do scrap the 7300GT it'll be for another low power card so that they can still offer 4 cards for 8 monitor support. 2GB RAM surely has to happen.

    Processors change drastically in prices at the end of July (29th) making a possible solution of 8 core macs with the same speeds and pricing as now. Apple have been competative with Mac Pro so far for it's intended needs, so ignore the fact it has no high end gamer cards. If Dell and HP for example can suddenly offer 8 core 2.66Ghz machines for the same price Apple are selling a Quad 2.66Ghz, they lose a key selling point. The EA games thing is a good observation, though none of the games are graphically intensive and should run on x1600s and 7300GTs and anything above.
     
  13. eluk macrumors 6502a

    eluk

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2006
    Location:
    East London, UK
    #13
    I'll wait for Leopard, although if there has been no update am quite prepared to wait for MWSF.
     

Share This Page