Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
I know this thread was here many times so I'm sorry to bring it up again. I would like to buy my first Mac ever this summer and as I'm not in a rush I am curious when Mac Pro could get updated. If Intel releases Penryn in Q3 how long do you think we will have to wait till Apple adopts it? MWSF? Also, what is the chance that Mac Pro will get updated in next 3 months? I know that its all speculation but I am just curious about the possibilities. I don't want to buy my first mac and then realize that a month later I could get 2gb ram as default along with 8600GT. What do you guys think?

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
No one knows. It is all speculation of course. Trust me, if I knew I wouldn't even be posting around here about it. (Well I would to tell everyone else).

Will it get 2GBs? We hope. 8x00GT? We hope. 3Ghz in case or octos all around? We hope.

It really depends on what Apple thinks the eigt core addition was. Maybe they did that to stretch it out a bit. Who knows?

I can tell you this. If Apple updated the graphics and base memory. I would buy TODAY.

ryanlaing

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2007
I can tell you this. If Apple updated the graphics and base memory. I would buy TODAY.

same here. i was hoping to see something at wwdc and pretty disappointed. im trying to decide if i should get a system now or wait another month or two and see if anything happens. even a year ago when it was released, the 1gb of ram and the graphics card were pretty mediocre base settings. hopefully it will get some updates soon. its just with the amount of money these things cost, its probably worth holding out a little longer.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
If Intel releases Penryn in Q3 how long do you think we will have to wait till Apple adopts it? MWSF?

Yes, if Penryn comes out in Q3 and the Mac Pro hasn't been updated by then, the Mac Pro could be updated at MWSF.

Also, what is the chance that Mac Pro will get updated in next 3 months?

I think that's always been answered best by this guide https://buyersguide.macrumors.com// which has rarely failed me.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
I cant make myself buy right now. Why? Because when the Mac Pro gets new processors (after Intel cut most likely) and more ram and better gpu the current Mac Pro will drop in value probably around a grand. I am not about to spent 2.5k on a computer just to have its value plumet. We already know the severity that Intel is cutting prices.. no way I am buying a machine with 2x 700$ processors that are about to drop like crazy.. unless you make a lot of money with the comp you should wait.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I cant make myself buy right now. Why? Because when the Mac Pro gets new processors (after Intel cut most likely) and more ram and better gpu the current Mac Pro will drop in value probably around a grand. I am not about to spent 2.5k on a computer just to have its value plumet. We already know the severity that Intel is cutting prices.. no way I am buying a machine with 2x 700$ processors that are about to drop like crazy.. unless you make a lot of money with the comp you should wait.

Agree fully. Normally I wouldn't advise waiting, but with key quarters like Q3 and Q4, that you have valid intel on, waiting wouldn't hurt.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007

That is exactly what I'm waiting for. Intel is going to slash prices next month so I would expect Apple to either slash the prices too or upgrade it. I would rather want the upgrade than the discount. :)

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
I too am waiting for this update, I can carry on my day-to-day tasks with my MacBook.

As a journo, I know that Apple probably do not read all posts on all forums, but they defo take a look if threads are bought to their attention.

So c'mon Apple, we know you have the clout to force price drops and chips out of suppliers earlier than release dates, so get an update online as soon as you can and reap the benefits.

basicfiend

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
I'm want a new MP, but waiting until the EA games come out

My money is on an update in the beginning of July to fit in with the EA games announcement. Probably add GeForce 8xxx cards to the graphics lineup and scrap the 7300 option. The ATI X1900 will become the base offering, but with Crossfire options. Also change to 2 GB ram standard. Probably not much happening in the processor area this summer though.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
My money is on an update in the beginning of July to fit in with the EA games announcement. Probably add GeForce 8xxx cards to the graphics lineup and scrap the 7300 option. The ATI X1900 will become the base offering, but with Crossfire options. Also change to 2 GB ram standard. Probably not much happening in the processor area this summer though.

The X1900 won't become the base offering. If they do scrap the 7300GT it'll be for another low power card so that they can still offer 4 cards for 8 monitor support. 2GB RAM surely has to happen.

Processors change drastically in prices at the end of July (29th) making a possible solution of 8 core macs with the same speeds and pricing as now. Apple have been competative with Mac Pro so far for it's intended needs, so ignore the fact it has no high end gamer cards. If Dell and HP for example can suddenly offer 8 core 2.66Ghz machines for the same price Apple are selling a Quad 2.66Ghz, they lose a key selling point. The EA games thing is a good observation, though none of the games are graphically intensive and should run on x1600s and 7300GTs and anything above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.