Mac Pro and video out

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fonzijr1964, May 20, 2008.

1. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Ok so I am installing a home theater system in my home and I wanted to know if i could run a Mac Pro (or MB / MBP) over my projector to a 110" screen. I just wanted to know how big of a screen some people have connected their Pro's to and if you think the picture quality would brake up allot with the use of a projector. I only would be using it for computing not for the main video. The only reason I am thinking of a pro is because it has the best graphics power of all the Mac's. Please share your experiences, thanks.

2. p.luik macrumors regular

You wont need an MP to do this. What is the native resolution on your projector? I have an older projector with a native res. of 1024x768 and even my 12" PB 1.5 could display nicely on it. You shouldnt need to worry about having too powerful of a graphics card. Maybe just stay away from an onboard graphics solution.

3. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

the thing is this is a very very nice system (its full 1080 by the way) and i want it to look good. i have seen some bad pictures on office type projectors and i don't want it to look like that.

4. p.luik macrumors regular

in that case, a mac pro would be very nice. someday you will probably want to be able to play 1080 videos through quicktime or maybe even bluray movies. a mac pro would be future proof for quite sometime, or at least easy to upgrade as needed. you should post some pics of your system playing a full 1080p quicktime movie once you get it all set up. id be curious as to how nice it looks since all i would need to do is upgrade my projector to achieve 1080p viewing.

5. toke lahti macrumors 68000

6. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

The only problem is that we cannot predict when and how Bluray support will be added to OS X / Mac Pro. HDMI must be present and a supported graphics card must be installed. In the meantime I would try to play some games with the projector, thats very fun. And you will like the graphics power of a Mac Pro with a fast GPU...

7. Fonzijr1964 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

thanks for the help and when it is all done i will post picks