Mac Pro - Any anticipated updates?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bakey, May 28, 2008.

1. Bakey macrumors 6502

Hi there folks.

Although I'm looking at purchasing a refurb dual 2.8 quad (octo-core) mac pro from Apple UK; I'm a little hesitant due to there being any anticipated updates on the horizon what with WWDC being literally around the corner.

I know this product is regarded as mid-cycle and therefore "neutral", and I know this particular configuration was only released in January of this year. But, if there is something on the way (and I know in the world of IT there's always something else on the way!) if it's sooner rather than later then maybe (just maybe) I'd be prepared to wait - refurb or not!!

I usually hate these kinds of thread, at the end of the day if the buyer (me!) wants/needs the kit then go-ahead and buy it!!

But now that I'm in the same predicament it's not quite so easy!!!!!

Thanks in advance...

2. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Well in this case I'd say it depends on what you're using now. If you're using last years latest and greatest then perhaps wait. However, if you're using a dated system then buy now.

The improvement in speed/responsiveness etc. for this one will be so massive that I doubt waiting for the next one is going really to make a lot of difference, it'll be more percentage points and bragging rights rather than what you can actually achieve.

AppleMatt

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please search. Please please search. There are dozens of threads on the Mac Pro about this WWDC alone. What is there to upgrade to? There aren't any new chips, and therefore Apple isn't going to boost the other specs.

4. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I am waiting till after the conference for no reason other then financial for my mac pro. I am getting one of the cheapest ones possible (single cpu) new so if they upgrade it - great, otherwise I don't think i will care.

The 2x2.8 quads are a pretty great setup, I don't think you'll regret it. Even a refurb 2x2.33 duals are still a pretty great setup. Money well spent for what ever version you get.

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I'm afraid I must agree, nothing new in the near future .. :(

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Thanks for policing, but actually your post is not exactly correct. The Radeon 3870 ATI may be rolled out for the Mac Pro any day now. The rumor was that they would be ready as soon as the end of May with driver support found in 10.5.3.

7. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

a blu ray option is about the only thing they could add at this point

8. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Intel has no new processor, memory or chipsets planned before Nehalem that will apply to the Mac Pro.

The upcoming 12-core Dunnington CPU is designed for servers, not workstations, and will have slower clockspeeds then what is in the Mac Pro now. Also, it's based on Tigerton, not Harpertown, so it uses the m604PGA socket and will not fit in the Mac Pro's LGA771 socket.

So unless you want to wait for Nehalem in 2009, the Mac Pro you buy today will be the pinnacle for the line in those three areas until then.

9. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

They were just updated in January, the earliest anyone should expect a significant cpu or chipset update is August.

As DarthTreydor said, the most you should hope for is Blu-ray.

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Lucky us... the ones with the '08 Mac Pro :D
    God, I adore it...

11. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty much sold on the idea already - my current set-up is a Mac Book C2D 2.0 and a PowerMac G4 1.25 MDD; main Windows box is an old Shuttle P4 running at 2.4... So, you're on the nail in that an octo is seriously gonna kick some ass!!

Thanks for your tip "Tallest Skil" :rolleyes: - if you re-read my original post I did explicitly state I'm not one for these kind of threads; but all the same appreciate positive thoughts with regards to my probable purchase!!

But all said and done, many thanks guys and I really appreciate and value your thoughts...

I'll post once the deal is done!! ;)

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

When is there going to be a serious waiting for Nehalem thread that has some legs?

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Mine is only a 2007 ....... but I adore it as well .. :):)

14. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

maybe one of us with an '08 can start one just to be cool....
    :D

15. Roy macrumors 6502

If you mean Nehalem in a Mac Pro, then at the time Intel releases it, then the serious waiting can began.

16. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Their has to be some update before nealham. Nealham most likely wont come until mac world 09. I don't think they will push 365 + days on the pro.

They can always bump the ram from 2 to 4 or add a bigger hard drive. They could even drop in the new ati 3870 gfx card.

I my self would love to see a 3.2 single quad core bto option. I would get that even if it was priced $200 dollars more than the current 2.8 8 core.

17. fireloss macrumors member

Not quite true, when Apple can get chips before their formal releases...

18. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Last time the only real update was due to processors, Intel did talk about faster 1600MHz FSB Harpertowns, but there are no real rumours or facts out there that indicate they are comming. I doubt they will increase memory or hard drive size as these aren't things that sell the system.

In regards to the single 3.2GHz offering, Apple have shown they don't want to have the issue of systems with less cores out performing those with more due to processor speed differences.

I wouldn't expect any changes until a Nehalmem Mac Pro in Q1 2009.

Nehalem won't just be about processors though, there will be alot of things that have to come together for Apple to release.

19. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Buy now. Great value and you can get a lot done with it in the 8 months until the Nehalem systems are due. And they might not even be on time. I'll be picking up a refurb myself next month. When the Nehalem refurbs are available this time next year I'll give the current one to my girlfriend and get one of those. Good luck. Cheers. :apple: