Mac Pro: any guesses when and what will be the next update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by milo, Jul 24, 2008.

1. milo macrumors 604

It looks like I'm close to buying one, but the buyer's guide makes it sound like an update should be fairly soon.

Have there been any recent rumors about MP updates? Any hints from intel's roadmap? And is there something coming that will be a significant bump, or just slightly faster speeds?

If it is going to be fairly soon I can tough it out, but if it will be late fall, or even January, I might as well just get one now.

Any predictions would be appreciated.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

From what I'm reading it doesn't look like MP updates are gonna happen before 09 so I'd run along and get one now.

3. cube macrumors G5

I keep on waiting for the Mac Pro Light, without Xeon and FB-DIMMs.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

That may be quite a wait :eek:

5. NYIKANG macrumors newbie

mbp update

No one knows when the next update is going to be. However if they bump up the hardware doesn't neccesary mean that there will be a bump in perfomance . Mainly beacuse there aren't apps. out there yet that can take advantage of multi-cores . If there is any thing then you should wait until snow leopard comes out and buy the quad-core version of MBP that is released during that time bracket. Then you will get more bang for your buck.

6. milo thread starter macrumors 604

That's a full year between updates, really? Since going intel, they haven't gone more than about 8 or 9 months in between updates. Doesn't intel even have a speed bump before then?

NYIKANG, I'm looking at the Mac Pro, not the MacBook Pro.

Thanks for the responses. I may end up getting the machine fairly soon under the EDU discount and get the free iPod, unless there are rumblings of an update before that.