Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
jrk07 said:
So jealous of a silent system alone, let alone the fact that it is way faster than my Rev.A 1.8 Ghz G5 iMac also. If there was one reason to hate my current system it would have to be its ability to mimick the sounds of vacuum cleaner.

:confused: My dad's iMac G5 2.1Ghz never makes a sound:)

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
Lincoln said:
Conroe is the Desktop Core 2 chip (not in any Macs yet)

The code name for the Xeons is "woodcrest"

and we'll just call it ass-kicking beast.

laslo, will u put your raptors in that?

edit: imagine a raid 0 setup!

jrk07

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
dextertangocci said:
:confused: My dad's iMac G5 2.1Ghz never makes a sound:)

Probably because its not a revision A. Apple royally crapped up on the fan design in them and I believe a large number of them sound like mine, which is extremely loud. It has really gotten to a breaking point with me, and I feel like I need a new mac JUST to use the computer in silence.

On Topic: I LOVE the no cable look of the innards of the Mac Pro.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Laslo Panaflex said:
I did a quick test of compressor:

source: 5min HDV 1080i60 clip (export from FCP timeline)
output: Compressor default 16:9 120min fast encode

G5: 34min
Mac Pro: 12min

My mac pro is more that double the speed at the same task than my G5.

great times, any test on handbrake? how about some H264 encoding? or running a 1080P trailer solely and finding out how much CPU is used up in activity monitor?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
simie said:
Will you be using XP on it?

Yes, I don't know if boot camp will work yet (driver issues maybe) but I am deffinately installing parallels and already signed up for the VMware beta

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Now if they only weren't 4k in Australia. I could get an educational discount but still 3.8 :(

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
DVD Drives....

If I only order the one drive, is the second drive 'flap' still visible?

Congrats on the Mac - I called Apple UK for Student Discount - they're only giving 8%. On my Dual 2GHz G5, I got 15.9%

:(

Still, need to find out what discount Regent's Street are offering with an NUS card. Does anyone know if the Retail stores in the UK have them in?

F

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
I haven't looked through all the pages, so I don't know if this has been asked yet. If it has, excuse me.

How's the noise level/heat on this baby? It must be smoking fast! (Does it come with Front Row?)

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
I am surprised that Apple did not state yesterday that the second drive bay is for the High definition (HD) optical or Blu-ray drives when they become available. I bet they will still be called super-drives.

TedSlawski

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2006
western massachusetts
Ram

Any idea yet if a gig of RAM is going to be enough, I ordered a stock model and ordered a pair of 512mb DIMMS to go with it. I bought it from a reseller because of the trade in they gave me on my G5. I bought the RAM from them as a "toss in" because I didn't want to slow up the wait, thought a base system would be faster to get. RAM is very expensive, so I opted for only an extra gig. I usually work with Photoshop, Go-live and In-design open at the same time as well as mail, browser, font management etc.. I wonder if we can get a baseline when somebody gets one with more RAM if having more than a Gig makes a difference in basic stuff?

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Wow honestly that thing is a BEAST! Congrats!

After reading through this Im still amazed that you got it in less than a day! Was it a store pickup? It doesn't look that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.