Mac Pro arriving today, can I transfer applications from previous computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jkaz, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jkaz macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I have a Mac Pro arriving today and I'm wondering if I can transfer all of the applications, or really just one or two of the applications from the computer it is replacing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. matt321 macrumors member

That depends... if you have a Mac running 10.3 or 10.4 and a firewire cable, just migrate the applications during the setup wizard.

One thing to consider is, if your old mac was PPC, you may want to try and install a "universal binary" version of the application.

If you have a pc... no dice unless you use Parallels to import your pc as a virtual machine.

3. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

4. ColinEC macrumors 6502

You could use this to update all those applications before transferring them, you'll have a better chance of them all being Intel-ready if you use the latest versions:

http://metaquark.de/appfresh/

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Your dual binary apps will be OK, but the ppc ones won't work. I think just doing a clean install is your best option for a ppc --> intel upgrade.

6. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

It is EASY - did G5 to Mac Pro April 7th

I did this Yesterday April 7th. I put my old G5 hard drive in bay #3 (sooooo easy) and during the set up assistant it asked where do I want to get my old info from. One of the choices was from a volume on 'this' computer (ie old hard drive) - bam it was done. Took about an hour for 100 gigs of data.

Other than amazing new levels of speed, it looks and feels like my old G5. My IT said that OLD PPC applications run under some emulator (rosetta maybe) but the universal binary are transparent and just run faster. I mean Quicken photos, tunes, bookmarks and even an old shareware application 'Image Buddy' were ALL THERE and functional Even my Mac Rumors Password and other registration keys were still active.

I suppose you can update programs as needed once you find if you have any issues-but my guess is apple did a good job here and you will not find this to be a problem .

Enjoy your new Mac Pro. Fast and Quiet... a real work of art.

7. m1stake macrumors 68000

You'd be best served with a clean install, but as you can see above it's not manditory.

8. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Verify path with Genius Bar

The data caputre does not capture and of the OS and the OS installed is up to date (firmware ets) - not sure but when I hear clean install I automatically default to OS....

I would also recommend calling the Genius Bar at a local apple store. They were the ones who told me about the setup feature upon first boot up of new machine. They were confident that this is a safe way to proceed.

But if an application is mission critical, doing a clean install is not the worst loss of time and would remove any lingering doubts while using it, still 99% probably will transfer over with out incident.

GOod luck and enjoy your new machine. They are really nice!!!!