Mac Pro as a server? Mac mini instead?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pinksatin, Oct 21, 2009.

1. pinksatin macrumors member

pinksatin

This may be a stupid question, but if you use your Mac Pro as a server is it ok to still use it as your primary computer?

And.. if I was using a mac mini as a server and I bought a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro, would it just be counterproductive and hurt the performance of the better, faster computers?

I was thinking about buying a mac mini server to use for hosting websites and as a media and storage server... But I was starting to think it would make more since to use the $1000 toward a Mac Pro in a few months when they are updated.

Thanks for any help...

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Unless you plan on serving up 100,000 hits a day with constant video/audio streaming I'd say the Mac Pro is a bit overkill when it comes to running a server in your house.

You can do it and still use it as your main computer but if your just doing stuff for your house I'd go with a Mini.

3. goMac macrumors 603

Depends. It is kind of nice knowing that when you restart your Mac Pro you aren't taking your website down along with it.

Also having your Mac Pro on 24/7 is going to add a nice dent to your power bill, compared to having a mini on 24/7. I know that when I had my Mac Pro on 24/7 it added at least $40 to my monthly power bill compared to normal usage.

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Unless your internet connection is crazy-fast, I would go with the Mini. Regular internet speeds don't hold a candle to modern HDDs.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes it's fine.