Mac Pro as Router

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ecchi, Feb 4, 2010.

1. ecchi macrumors newbie

I'm having a difficult time with my VPN(basically disconnects or fails to connect - regardless of WinServer VPN or Mac Server VPN). Some searching suggests, that older AEBS(what I have), basically suck at VPN passthrough. Before I go out and spend a couple hundred dollars on a new router(accounting will not give money unless its "confirmed" solution), or managed switch, I'd thought I'd at least confirm that is the case, and not the VPN software, or the server.

I want to test the Mac Pro as a router, which runs most of the services anyway(there is a WinServer that also can provide PPTP VPN that I was using as a test). Internet comes in via one gigabit NIC, goes out the other to a unmanaged switch, to provide internet to rest of the office.
    I know of Internet Sharing in the Sharing Preferences Pane. The question is any special considerations? I would like to maintain the current LAN IP range 10.0.2.* for the office (otherwise it screws up network resources like the printers).

Also, what about port management (for services not provided by the Mac Pro, say trying the WinServer as a VPN)? I also guess that MAC-IP reservations won't be possible either. But this is a test that will take a day at least (I need to physically test it outside the office to ensure the VPN is working). Unfortunately its not a "weekend-test" for me, since our office is open weekends as well. So I need a quick patch test, that limits downtime, hence the mac pro.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I set up my the firewall in 'Server Admin' and enable the VPN ports; of course in your case, I would also have DHCP and DNS enabled for the routing.

3. ecchi thread starter macrumors newbie

So set the second NIC to 10.0.2.1 should be good enough?