Mac Pro ATA serial internal drives for RAID

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by a.leung, Oct 2, 2008.

1. a.leung macrumors newbie

Well-I've been out of the loop in the ATA world for MAcs so I thought I would post this question to Mac users across the land:

Just put a mac pro system together for someone and its down to the hard drives. He doesnt want to go eSata - wants to stick with serial ATA 500 gig drives.

I sort of figured it was down to the WD Caviar® SE16 or the HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 or Seagate Barracuda 7200.11. He wants a RAID 0 of the three drives.

Am leaning towards the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11. Any thoughts or confirmations from ATA users would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

al

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Consumer grade drives don't do very well in RAID in the long term. They break far too easily, as they were never built for such abuse.
    RAID is a hard life for an HDD. :p
    Seagate ES.2 SATA, or the WD RE.2 would work well, and aren't too expensive.

If he doesn't care, any would work, but prone to premature failure in comparison to enterprise grade stuff.

3. a.leung thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks nano. I think I'll send these others back that I bought and get the seagate ES.2's. Some say to make sure you remove the jumper on the Seagate Barracuda ES.2 that limits xfer rates to 1.5 mb/s vs. 3. What do you think of doing that with a MAC in mind?

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Remove the jumper. :)