Mac Pro - Ati Radeon x1900GT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BlueDude6, Oct 21, 2007.

1. BlueDude6 macrumors newbie

I'll be getting a free PCI-Express ATI Radeon x1900GT PC Version video card from a friend who will be upgrading parts of his computer. I was wondering if anyone knew if this card would work in OS X on a mac pro because of it's model similarity to the officially supported x1900XT and the fact that Power Mac's ran x1900GT's in OS X too. Even if I can't flash an EFI firmware to the card, it might still work in OS X once it gets past the boot screens maybe? I've read of some x1900XT working unflashed in that manner, I'm hoping a GT might work similarly. (Of course, I currently have the nvidia 7300 currently in the computer.) Any info would be so much apperciated. Thanks.

P.S. I've read up on the whole 6-pin pci-express power cord situation and all that too, so I understand all the tidbits about installing it. I'm just wondering about it working in OS X.

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I don't know where you heard about unflashed cards working but i have never heard of that. So i am almost certain it needs to be flashed. However, i don't know if the GT can even be flashed.

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

You are right, you can run an unflashed card in OS X but not without some extra effort.

If you boot into Windows, it will work unmodified.

To get it to work in OS X can be done 2 ways:

1. Flash the rom (Caveat: if its a 128kb chip) with the Mac version

or

2. Install Natit or Omni's drivers (search google)

This will allow OS X to use the card, however these are drivers not written by Apple or the vendor and so you *may* get odd behaviour, as its hacked together by community effort. Then again, it may run fine.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Won't you still have the EFI problem? Without firmware that can talk with EFI i don't think it will work. Aren't those projects just for x86 hack systems?(so no EFI)

5. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

i believe you can only flash XT and XTX versions of the 1900 card to work in a macpro (in OSX)

6. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Apparantley, it has worked for other users in *cough* another forum.

I have never tried myself, I BTO'd my machine with an Apple supplied X1900 to avoid all that nonsense.

Why dont you ebay the card and buy an Apple one.

7. BlueDude6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will google those 3rd party drivers and of course make the appropriate partition mirrors before experimenting when I finally get the card :p

To Trainguy77: from what I had read, the video card only needs the EFI firmware in order to have enough functionality during boot to show the high resolution boot screens used by OS X (as opposed to the 256 color stuff you normally see with Windows) before the main OS X driver for the vid. card is loaded.

Some who have plugged in a PC card have had the screen appear blank during boot and then show the desktop once that driver has been loaded, due to the lack of efi firmware, however, with a compatible OS driver still present.

(Of course, this is only what I've read. I have had no first hand experience seeing that happen, and the thread mentioned that not all PC x1900xt video cards showed that behavior. I could've sworn that thread was in this forum too.)

Thanks again, everyone.

8. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I always tell people, if your gonna get the Mac Pro, get the 1900XT I mean if you are going for a high end machine, do not skimp on the videocard. You can always get 3rd party memory for cheap.

9. BlueDude6 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm getting the GT free from a friend. It'd just be a nice bonus if I were able to get it to work in OS X in addition to the graphics upgrade for gaming in Windows.

I really don't think the x1900xt was ever worth it at Apple's prices, especially when you can get an underclocked HD2900xt disguised as an HD2900Pro for $270 at Newegg and roll your pci-e power cables for about $5 when you have crimping experience. All the while, keeping a spare 7300 around. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102706)

The 7300 runs Orange Box just fine too ;-)

I bought my Mac Pro primarily for video studio work and web design so a super graphics card isn't essential. Gaming is just another thing I happen to do. And like I said, I'm getting the GT for FREE, so I'm just curious how much I can get this free upgrade to do for me :p

Edit: Apparently NewEgg deactivated that video card sale...it was an insane deal while it lasted, I hope it comes back soon. Read the reviews, HD2900XT speeds for $270 is hard to beat. It was outdoing the more expensive 320MB 8800 GTS in many of the benchmarks I'd seen.