Mac Pro audio line-out problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iZac, Jan 26, 2008.

1. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I'm an idiot guys ...

I plugged my mac pro's line out via a stereo 3.5mm jack through a converter to a 1/4 inch jack into my flatmates marshall head/cab unit just to see what it would sound like (note: Edguy plays pretty loud and awesome) ... the point is, now ive broken the left channel in the female connection on the Mac (im guessing it electrically shorted or something). Does anyone know if this is an easy fix, or if i should basically upgrade my computer speakers to a nice digital audio set?

2. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Uh. If you shorted the plug then getting new speakers isn't going to do anything. You need to have the machine repaired.

3. amik macrumors regular

I believe by "digital" he means something that accepts the toslink output using an integral DAC which would mean he doesn't need the line out.

4. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Then yes that would be fine but you would still have a broken computer.

5. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

I'm sure the computer will boot. Its not the end of the world.

6. iZac thread starter macrumors 68000

iZac

Oh, the whole machine is fine, except i cant get left channel from my line-out anymore.

The headphone jack is fine, and the digital optical jack im assuming is fine too. I had a hunt around and it seems i can get a digital optical audio cable with a 3.5mm converter, so i dont have to have cables trailing out the front of the machine.

...i guess thats the easiest (read: cheapest) option.

I doubt im ever going to sell this machine on anyway. My father made the assumption a few weeks ago that "when you get a new mac, i'm going to get your mac pro, arn't i"