Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Ok I can barely afford a 12 Core Mac Pro, 1TB, no afterburner Card etc. roughly $12k maybe I’ll add RAM later and waiting on the W5700XT 16GB Graphics option. It’s a school/learning opportunity and tax write off (My CPA says done deal)

But Theres no way to tax write off a $10,000 Display just no way around it my CPA says.

So I’m asking everyone here, What Display or Displays will you guys and girls be Using ?

I‘ll be using a LG C9 4K 55” OLED and also a Asus 27” PG27AQ 4K 144hz monitor

Just mainly because I plan to trade or sell the W5700XT for a RTX 3080 when they come out.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
This has been tough for me.
I was going to go with the lg 5k, but I’ve read too many bad reviews of those things. Not to mention , they look atrocious.

I ordered a BenQ pd3220u today. It has high marks , looks good, and is 32 inches. Only thing I’m worried about is the supposed uneven lighting.

Apple really needs to get back in the monitor game . There’s a huge void that they could refill with quality and style, if they could make a more affordable xdr.

Reactions: AMP12345

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
This has been tough for me.
I was going to go with the lg 5k, but I’ve read too many bad reviews of those things. Not to mention , they look atrocious.

I ordered a BenQ pd3220u today. It has high marks , looks good, and is 32 inches. Only thing I’m worried about is the supposed uneven lighting.

Apple really needs to get back in the monitor game . There’s a huge void that they could refill with quality and style, if they could make a more affordable xdr.

yes Apple could fill a 27” HDR 4K IPS 10-bit Display gap in the market with glossy screen no fancy nano texture. For about $1,500 sure that’s a flooded segment but, there’s a quality gap.
The XDR Display is meant to take sales away from $30,000 Sony critical reference monitors.

But if Apple can offer a $10K solution to a $30K problem

Then what the market one step lower ? Has to be this

Apple focus on function And accurate color profiles. After all what are all the MAcBook Pro owners connecting to at home ?

Reactions: Average Pro

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Ok I can barely afford a 12 Core Mac Pro, 1TB, no afterburner Card etc. roughly $12k maybe I’ll add RAM later and waiting on the W5700XT 16GB Graphics option. It’s a school/learning opportunity and tax write off (My CPA says done deal)

But Theres no way to tax write off a $10,000 Display just no way around it my CPA says.

So I’m asking everyone here, What Display or Displays will you guys and girls be Using ?

I‘ll be using a LG C9 4K 55” OLED and also a Asus 27” PG27AQ 4K 144hz monitor

Just mainly because I plan to trade or sell the W5700XT for a RTX 3080 when they come out.
Spend a very few bucks and file to create an LLC for your consultation skills. Now the monitor is a business expense. Done.

As an example only:

Last edited:

Bradleyone

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Dell UP2715K, which had the same IPS panel as the first Retina 5K iMac.

(Dell actually beat Apple to market by a few months in late 2014, but somehow Apple got the credit for introducing 5K to the desktop. Good spin doctors.)

I was originally using this monitor on a trashcan Mac Pro, then 2 years ago I moved to an iMac Pro and the screen became a PC monitor. So now it's come full circle.

It needs 2x DisplayPort inputs, so to connect the Mac Pro 7,1 I use a Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort Adapter.

Reactions: chfilm

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin

(Dell actually beat Apple to market by a few months in late 2014, but somehow Apple got the credit for introducing 5K to the desktop. Good spin doctors.)

I was originally using this monitor on a trashcan Mac Pro, then 2 years ago I moved to an iMac Pro and the screen became a PC monitor. So now it's come full circle.

It needs 2x DisplayPort inputs, so to connect the Mac Pro 7,1 I use a Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort Adapter.

+1, I’ve got two of those babies.
You already got yours up and running? Any issues?
I got that sonnet Adapter as well but don’t have my Mac Pro yet.

Bradleyone

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia
No serious issues. Worked straight out of the box.

I did have a few times today where I had a black screen after booting, but I've been installing a number of system volumes, including Boot Camp Windows, so things are still settling down. Nothing that a simple power off/on didn't fix.

Reactions: chfilm

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark

No it doesn’t. The Dell UP2715K uses the Samsung LTM270RL01 which is a real 10-bit panel. It’s better than the LG LM270QQ1 used in LG UltraFine 5K and iMac / iMac Pro.

Reactions: idktbh and chfilm

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
LG Ultrawide 49”. Still tying to find the best resolution and cabling to run it on.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
No serious issues. Worked straight out of the box.

I did have a few times today where I had a black screen after booting, but I've been installing a number of system volumes, including Boot Camp Windows, so things are still settling down. Nothing that a simple power off/on didn't fix.
May I ask- what color settings are you using the display with?
in the past I had some issues with the extended color space of Adobe rgb and Video colors in premiere/qt/after effects scenarios, so I ended up using it in srgb with an srgb profile in Mac OS also.. it works, but colors obviously aren’t as vibrant anymore...it’s a bit annoying not to be able to use the full potential of this otherwise awesome display..

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
My Mac Pro will be sharing the displays with my gaming rig as well as my work laptop. It's a very crowded desk!
  • Asus PG27UQ 4K/144Hz display
  • 2 LG 27UK650-W 4K/60Hz displays
The Asus panel runs 4K/60 when the Macs are powering it over HDMI. It only kicks into 144Hz when the PC is pushing it for gaming.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Hopefully , I'll get the XDR display someday . Until then , I've got two of these in my shops : Dell Ultra HD 4k Monitor P2715Q 27-Inch . Actually , 4K is too fine for my eyes , so I upscale it to 1440p . Text looks so crisp .

Reactions: splifingate

barnyard

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
a 49 inch ultrawide - either Samsung, LG or Asus ROG. It will offer more for me than Apple's monitor.

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Not to get to far off topic but why wouldn't that display qualify according to your CPA?

If a gynecologist orders a $8,000 dentist drill that probably isn't gong to fly as a business expense. The XDR is a high priced , narrow tool for a narrow market. "I needed a monitor for my headless computer" isn't going to pass any seriously real IRS audit.

The larger the sum heaped on a "tax shelter" business the more likely it will get audited and fail the audit. There are lots of things folks do that won't survive real scrutiny but the IRS doesn't chase down everything.

Reactions: Marekul

bob_stan

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2019
Central New York
While I do you tube tutorial videos and photography, i am mainly programming on my 2019 Mac Pro. This Dell monitor gives me sufficient screen space, good resolution and accurate colors.

Dell U3818DW

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
If a gynecologist orders a $8,000 dentist drill that probably isn't gong to fly as a business expense. The XDR is a high priced , narrow tool for a narrow market. "I needed a monitor for my headless computer" isn't going to pass any seriously real IRS audit.

The larger the sum heaped on a "tax shelter" business the more likely it will get audited and fail the audit. There are lots of things folks do that won't survive real scrutiny but the IRS doesn't chase down everything.
That’s basically what my CPA said, she doesn’t want to raise any red flags she use to be a IRS auditor for 10 years. We can easily explain away a Mac Pro for online school courses related to Mac work and has variety of uses. But the display is like unless you are doing specific Photo Editing for a print or publishing business.

Heck even video editors can’t justify it. I’d like to see a Side by side with the Top 2 Monitors next to an Apple XDR Display the BenQ32 has HDR and 10-bit Color Id like to see if people could be fooled as to which was which by adding a shroud of fabric around the monitors.

Reactions: Marekul and OkiRun

devnull16

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018
I'd kill to use my Dell UP3218K from my Windows machine but macOS won't work at 7680x4320 @ 60Hz. So I'll be using two Dell UP2715K until I'm able to afford the Display XDR. End goal is to have a PLP monitor setup (27-5K vertical, 32-6K landscape, 27-5K vertical).

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
it's 60Hz if you have good GPU

Not in MacOS.
There is no support for it, unlike the smaller UP2715K.

I have the UP3218K on my desk right now and it is being fed by a VEGA FE with dual DP1.4 cables. Although it only uses a single DP1.4 input and is limited to 7680x4320@30Hz (4K HiDPI).
If you want 60Hz at 8K you are limited to 8-bit or 48Hz at 8K for 10-bit with dual DP1.4 inputs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.