Mac Pro, beach ball in finder, Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by HyperX13, Aug 11, 2011.

1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 - 3.2 Gigahertz Dual Processors 12 Gigs of ram and the 512 gig Apple SSD drive. Ever since I upgraded to Lion, I need to restart the Mac DAILY. What happens is the beach ball spins when I move the mouse over finder. It's stuck until a reboot. The computer is good for about a day, and then bam its beach ball time. I checked hard drive (ssd drive), I checked the permissions and repaired them. I am at a loss. Programs still work, but finder just doesnt. Ideas?

Edit - one more item. After each reboot it seems spotlight has to rebuild the index.

2. daniel9382 macrumors newbie

beachballing

I have exactly the same problem, I'm running adobe ae and cinema 4d comparibly smoothly but whenever I need to move a file in finder, or check something using quicklook I'm getting long 30 sec - 5 minute beach balling with seemingly no cpu spikes in activity monitor, I also have an SSD installed.

Anyone else?

Early 2011 17" Macbook pro 2.3Ghz, 8 Ram, 256Gb Crucial C300 SDD

3. Rad macrumors regular

Mac Pro

Same problem on my 3 GHz Quad Mac Pro 1,1.

4. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I installed latest version of Istat (got rid of old one) and my issues seems to have gone away. Going on 4 days on Mac Pro without reboot. Longest since Lion. Will keep you posted.

Edit - sorry - I actually uninstalled Istat on that Mac Pro, my 4.1 mac pro i updated to latest one... that mac pro never had issues in first place...

5. uriafassina macrumors newbie

Exactly the same

Exactly the same here. In all the details.
    This damn spinning beach ball of death is driving me crazy.

Someone found a solution?

6. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Past 12 hours, Finder freezes for several minutes each usage

I have a 2009 iMac (3.06 core 2 duo, 12GB ram). I upgraded to Lion on launch day and have not had any memorable issues until the past 12 hours. It started freezing with almost anything--Chrome, iTunes, Spotify, Finder, even System Preferences! After several restarts and a shutdown, my iMac returned to appearance of normalcy.

Nevertheless, each time I use Finder now, it freezes up the whole system for several minutes. Never had an issue with Finder before. What the heck, Tim Cook?

7. stewacide, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

stewacide macrumors regular

Lion was fine the first couple weeks I used it, but as of a week or so ago I'm getting content freeze-ups and have to hard-reset my Macbook. When it comes back up Spotlight has to rebuild its index (not sure if this always happens with an unproper shutdown or is specific to this bug).

I've just uninstalled iStat menus to see if that has any effect.

edit -- nope, removing iStat didn't help :(