Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just thought i'd share my love for the inside of the mac pro. Just bought another pioneer 111D for €30 and put it into the machine. Genius how everything slots in and fits elegantly on the inside of the mac pro, much nicer than the powermac G5. well done apple :) :D :)

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i wish i could endulge in the same joy you are in...

I saw a Mac Pro open at an AppleCentre the other day. They are just about as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside :D

i'd love to stick a camera in there for some macro shots...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I just love how Apple pays attention to their systems to make sure that they look nice on both the outside and the inside. Unlike the vast majority of PeeCee manufacturers who make systems that are both ugly on the outside and on the inside. :D :)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
MacRumorUser said:
Just thought i'd share my love for the inside of the mac pro. Just bought another pioneer 111D for €30 and put it into the machine. Genius how everything slots in and fits elegantly on the inside of the mac pro, much nicer than the powermac G5. well done apple :) :D :)
Well if your going to sit and brag about it at least you should stick in a few photo's but I have a argument and mine is the Quicksilver has never been surpassed for ease of getting into and doing things. I mean really.:D Apple was at the top of their game with Quicksilver.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I pulld one apart. Really well designed, airflow though is less than my Precision 690 and the mobo in there is of dubious superiority to the Dell article.

To look at and to pull apart, love the Mac Pro. To work on and to rely on, prefer the 690.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Yes it is gorgeous, I'd just love to see Apple make a smaller version with a conroe, 2HDD bays, 1 optical drive, 4 so-dimm slots, graphics card and one or two open pci slots. Honestly the Mac Pro is a bit big and overkill for my needs.

Notice I didn't bring up Sleepy Hollow. :D

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I don't find the Mac Pro to be as sexy as the G5 PowerMacs were. Those machines were something else. I loved how they looked and how it was so unique.

Now it just seems like any other PC when I look at the innards...

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Warbrain said:
I don't find the Mac Pro to be as sexy as the G5 PowerMacs were. Those machines were something else. I loved how they looked and how it was so unique.

Now it just seems like any other PC when I look at the innards...

Oh right. Because any other PC has dual riser boards for their FB-DIMMs, Individual hard drive mounting sleds and pull-out sled for their optical drives. (/sarcasm)

You have no idea what you're talking about. The Mac Pro takes everything good about the G5 Powermac and takes it a step farther, with more elegance.

Shot of the inside of a G5 Powermac
Shot of the inside of a Mac Pro

Latisha

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2006
My RAM shipped out today, I can't wait for it to arrive so can install it.

Thinking of getting a high-speed DVD-ROM drive too just to fill that empty space. And some hard drives. And...gah! My Mac Pro is more addicting than any MMO could ever be!

I can't understand why anybody would buy an iMac when it's so much fun putting stuff into your Mac Pro.

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
Looks really good but there is one thing I don't like. There are tonnes of capacitors in it and those things have very finite lives. Most other things will live much longer than caps. I sure hope they have put in quality stuff. My old B&W had zero capacitors (OK, maybe the power supply has some but I can't see them) and that was a beautiful sight. BTW, that B&W is still in operation, works like a hoot.

Re: roland.g: I have been bitching about the same thing - I have almost no use for 4 cores and even less for the slow, dumb and expensive FB RAM. But I'm coming around a bit. I went to Dell's site and configured a Conroe with with similar specs and it came out to $2000 (I put a X1900 XT equivalent in it). With discounts, my configuration of Mac Pro comes out to $2600 but it's a quad. So I'm not sure. Apple definitely needs to release a Conroe based upgradeable machine if they want to get people to switch (no, iMac and mini aren't it).

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Mind if I ask why you changed out the burner? I'm very close to selling my set-up now and getting a macpro. The thing is, I put in a 111D not so long ago. If it's better to keep, I can swap it out again before I sell. I was VERY unhappy with the burner that came with my powermac. I wouldn't be too happy if apple put another crappy burner in there!

yt

incidentally - Is the mac pro better for keeping dust out? It looks like most of the insides are pretty well contained.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Mind if I ask why you changed out the burner? I'm very close to selling my set-up now and getting a macpro. The thing is, I put in a 111D not so long ago. If it's better to keep, I can swap it out again before I sell. I was VERY unhappy with the burner that came with my powermac. I wouldn't be too happy if apple put another crappy burner in there!

I assume your directing the question to me ?

Well i didnt change the burner, I simply ordered a macpro with the 1 standard superdrive and ordered a dvd burner elsewhere to add to the machine. Remember the mac pro supports 2 burners.

The cost of adding an additional superdrive from Apple was €99 for me, the cost of buying an additional pioneer 111D and fitting it myself €30

The mac pro ships with either a Pioneer 111D or a Sony drive anyway. Mine shipped with the pioneer, so now I have 2 :D

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I assume your directing the question to me ?

Well i didnt change the burner, I simply ordered a macpro with the 1 standard superdrive and ordered a dvd burner elsewhere to add to the machine. Remember the mac pro supports 2 burners.

The cost of adding an additional superdrive from Apple was €99 for me, the cost of buying an additional pioneer 111D and fitting it myself €30

The mac pro ships with either a Pioneer 111D or a Sony drive anyway. Mine shipped with the pioneer, so now I have 2 :D

Sorry MacRumorUser. That was directed to you. It was late:D .

Anyway: oh yeah! I completely forgot!:eek: I wish Apple would release support for the 111D pn the PoweMac, though. I can't get max speeds out of it until they do (or until I work out a way to flash it with updated firmware).

Cheers!
yt

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Oh right. Because any other PC has dual riser boards for their FB-DIMMs, Individual hard drive mounting sleds and pull-out sled for their optical drives. (/sarcasm)

You have no idea what you're talking about. The Mac Pro takes everything good about the G5 Powermac and takes it a step farther, with more elegance.

Sure, but there's at mystique that was always around a Mac. You owned something special. It's not that special anymore. Technically, I could build my own Mac now. It wasn't as easy to do so before.

And yes, the PCs I service at my university have individual hard drive mounting sleds and a pull out sled for their optical drives.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006

yt

incidentally - Is the mac pro better for keeping dust out? It looks like most of the insides are pretty well contained.

In my opinion the stock burner is far too noisy to be usable, if you are going to watch anything while the drive has to read from the disc then don't bother, its too dam noisy you'll have to turn the volume UP. Though its possible there are different optical drives in different mac pros, much like the Seagate/WD drives..

I had to put a Lite-On in there for my primary drive.

BackInTheSaddle

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Olympic Peninsula, WA
Sure, but there's at mystique that was always around a Mac. You owned something special. It's not that special anymore. Technically, I could build my own Mac now. It wasn't as easy to do so before.

It IS still special. The Power Macs/Mac Pros are works of art. I love how they look and sound (or more correctly, the lack of annoying sounds). Apple did a great job with the interior design of the new machines. Now it is even easier to upgrade or repair components that with the last generation boxes, all the while having very nice aesthetics. IMHO, the entire experience of owning a Mac is far superior to that of any PC.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wish Apple would release support for the 111D pn the PoweMac, though. I can't get max speeds out of it until they do (or until I work out a way to flash it with updated firmware).

Yeah it irritating that pioneer dont supply a flashing utility for macs.

I had to boot into windows via bootcamp and run the firmware updater from there.

Now at 1.29 :)

hondak24

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2006
Canada
Sorry MacRumorUser. That was directed to you. It was late:D .

Anyway: oh yeah! I completely forgot!:eek: I wish Apple would release support for the 111D pn the PoweMac, though. I can't get max speeds out of it until they do (or until I work out a way to flash it with updated firmware).

Cheers!
yt

Does your PowerMac see the 111D as Superdrive?

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Mourning my Power Mac...

This is quite silly. I think the poster knows exactly what they're talking about. I happen to agree entirely - the Mac Pro doesn't feel as nicely put together as a Power Mac. When I took the 2.66 out of its box for the first time, I noticed immediately that the build quality and finish was nowhere near as good as that of my old PM 2GHz G5.

Really, the inside of those felt hand crafted and solid. Though the HDD bays are great functionally and aesthetically - they feel flimsy. The mechanism holding the DVD drives are worse, as the cables and the sliding scratches the Aluminium.

Fortunately I found further cosmetic damage on the outside of the case, and I promptly took it back to Apple Brent Cross for another one. Same build quality. Good, but nowehere near as nice as a Power Mac G5.

Not to mention, the name sounds better too.

Thanks,

F

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.