Mac Pro beeps or squeals when CPU usage high

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by parbar, Jun 30, 2012.

1. parbar, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012

parbar macrumors newbie

My Mac Pro Two 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5300 processors running Snow Leopard with 12 GB 667 MHz DDR2 memory just started beeps or squeals when CPU usage is high. If I convert a couple of large Quicktime movies at the same time it will just squeal - and its not audio from the speakers because I shut those off. It also does it when I render 3D images that are large. I checked the Activity Monitor to see the CPU usage is high when this happens.

Any ideas why?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No MacBook Pro has those processors. Are you sure you're not talking about a Mac Pro?

3. drambuie macrumors 6502a

As GGJstudios suggested, you appear to be using a Mac Pro. Since the squeal occurs under high CPU load I would suspect that source is either the power supply, or more likely, the CPUs' voltage inverter, located on the mainboard. It should be fairly easy to determine if it's coming from the PSU.

If this squeal just started spontaneusly, it could be due to one or more failing capacitors. If it's not from the PSU, check the area around the CPU sockets for bulging or leaking capacitors.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

I think you are confused and have the wrong forum. That is a 2008 Mac Pro, might be time for an upgrade.

5. parbar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Your right. It is a Mac Pro.
    I used this forum for my Macbook previously.
    I appreciate the input.

6. preludica macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue. Did you ever figure out what it was?

7. parbar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, It wasn't the computer. I had plugged in a couple of items to my UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) and it was doing the beeping because of power overload. I unplugged them and it stopped.