Mac Pro behaving strangely with fan and freezes

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by teohyc, Sep 24, 2008.

1. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

After upgrading to 10.5.5, I've noticed a something different.

1. OSX hangs more often, maybe 3-4 times this month. Often as in noticeable compared to the past. OSX will freeze the screen but the mouse still moves. I've two freezes that happened when I open Dashboard, and open Finder. The other times I can't remember.

2. My graphics card the 1900XT's fan is behaving strangely. It will revved up on and off and on off, despite me not doing anything intensive. The intervals are not instant though, maybe a few minutes apart. I'm typing this with Firefox opened only and there's one revved up. Is there any utility to check the graphics card?

Or maybe it's just a sign that the graphics card is heating up too quickly. The fan kicks in. It cools. Then heats up too quickly again. That's my logic.

3. I've two cases where my LCD just blacked out. Once the Mac restarted by itself as if the power plug was pulled out. The other, the LCD just blacked out and I have to hold the power switch to restart.

Overall, my Mac is still working with, I think 99% reliability. But I want to get it back to 99.9%.

I'm using the first gen mac pro.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. teohyc thread starter macrumors regular

teohyc

Just had another crash, not a screen freeze.

The LCD just blacked out and the music was still playing on iTunes. A few seconds later, the music stops. The fans and harddisk are still running, given the audible spinning. Then it's black until I hold the power switch.

This is very bad.

It seems like it's really the graphics card.

4. teohyc thread starter macrumors regular

teohyc

5. teohyc thread starter macrumors regular

teohyc

Updates.

I've confirmed that it's the dust built up on my 1900XT.

After I vacuumed the dust away, my Mac Pro is back to the normal near silent mode. No more unusual fan activity from the graphics card.

Hope my experience will help someone else.

;)