Mac Pro: Best bang for the buck?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EHUnlucky7x9@ao, Mar 30, 2008.

1. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

For those who DO have a Mac Pro or are familiar with this...any advice would be appreciated.

As you know, I'm looking to get a quick encoding machine. I was intending to get the 24" 2.4Ghz iMac, but hesitant since the new ones will be out in June. So I'm thinking of the Mac Pro....so here's the choices:

2x2.8Ghz quad-core
    2Gb RAM
    320Gb HD
    stock ATI card
    Cost: $2550....

or

1x2.8Ghz quad-core
    6Gb RAM.... 2x1Gb + 2x2Gb
    320Gb HD and 500Gb HD
    stock ATI card and nVidia 8800GT card
    cost: $2250

I just use my computer for .rar files....iTunes....encoding video from avi to ipod using FFMegX..... mail, safari, iMovie...... also Toast 8 converting .AVI to DVD.... I want to get the machine that is the best here....that even if there is the new iMacs out... the Mac Pro will still be significantly be faster.

My logic: the 2.66 MP's are still faster than the new iMacs that are out. I think they will still be faster than the new ones that will be out soon. So I want a MP that will be faster than the iMacs for the next 3 revisions at least...which Mac Pro would be best? Or should i just opt to get the 24" iMac?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I agree - there's nothing in that list that is really suggests a MacPro. An iMac will do all you need.

4. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you guys sure an iMac can handle fast encoding of .AVI files? I had a 2.16Ghz macbook and encoding was nearly an hour or two on a 1Gb AVI file to H.264 iPod 640w. And I had 3Gbs of RAM in the Macbook. Wouldn't a Mac Pro convert it in like 15 mins? How quick would that El Gato thing help the iMac?

5. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, what version of the iMac do you suppose is good enough then?