Mac pro Black Screen On wake-up

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rossagrant, Nov 25, 2010.

1. rossagrant macrumors member

Hi guys,
    Just got a new Mac pro and installed an SSD as the boot drive. I was downloading some apple software updates and left the machine alone to download for an hour.
    Came back and it was asleep or hibernating (is there a difference?)

At that point I clicked the mouse and I could hear it start back up but NOTHING came on the screen, just black.

I could press a key on the keyboard and hear the error type noise so the desktop was active, just not being displayed.

I disconnected my mini display port (I have a 24' Apple cinema LED display) and plugged it into the second mini display port on the back and it came back on.

Anyone know what this could be?
    A result of an SSD boot drive or do I need my LED display plugging into a particular mini display port out of the 2 on the graphics card?

Suggestions welcome as I'm totally new to this!

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Need more info. ????????

3. schulmaster macrumors member

Same thing happened to me with the same set up, if this is occuring on Windows that is.

If so, my solution was to delete the Catalyst Control Center, an then install the 'Display Driver Only' option from ATI's driver download webpage. This is only optimal if you do not rely on any setting changes from the CCC.

4. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

So sorry, not sure quite was else I can give you, I have only had the system a few hours.

When I disconnected the mini display connection at the back and put it into the other minidisplay (they are 2 ports on the 5770) the screen came back on and all was well.

This would suggest the system hadn't hung up but the screen just wasn't waking up I suppose.

I'm not sure maybe I hadn't plugged the connection in properly. It might make sense actually as during a Carbon copy Cloner process I made when I was cloning the shipped boot drive to the SSD the screen did flicker to black a couple of times, which may have suggested a loose connection. I put it down to carbon copy cloner at the time.

I can force sleep now on the mac pro and wake it up no problem. Is an induced sleep different to how the mac would put itself into sleep mode?

So sorry, I just got a bit paranoid because it's just so new and was so expensive, I just wanted to see if anyone else had seen it before.
    I'll keep an eye on things but it looks okay for now!
    Thanks so much for your time to reply to me though, I really appreciate it! )

5. TheDoc macrumors member

The same thing is happening for a lot of users with the new 2010 Mac Pros.

I have the base 2.8 Quad model and have the same issues (5770 Card). I have solved this by using a screen saver and making the lower left corner a 'hot corner'.

6. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

Cheers The Doc. At least I know I'm not on my own then. It hasn't done it since. I had a firmware update to do afterwards when I was running all the software updates so maybe that sorted it.

I'll keep an eye on it.