Mac Pro Bluetooth Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by d2b, Sep 4, 2009.

1. d2b macrumors newbie

I have a 2 x 2.66 Mac pro with OS 10.5.7.

I have my beautiful machine locked up in a steel cabinet in order to protect it from dust and other hazards as my office is also my workshop. There is a lot of metal and wood debris flying around these parts. Here is my problem I have a wireless keyboard and wireless Mighty Mouse. Of course the on board bluetooth does not produce a signal that will make it out of the steel cabinet and let me use my wireless peripherals. The funny thing is the bluetooth on my car's handsfree device i can get for like blocks away and thats totally annoying. Ahhh bluetooth. So I solved the problem by plunging in a D-Link DBT-120 adapter(which is supposedly supported by apple) outside the steel cabinet. every thing is working great i.e. i can use my mouse and keyboard. But, and its a big "but" because i need to get off my butt to wake my computer from sleep. With the external bluetooth adapter plugged in I can not wake my computer from sleep, this option is grayed out in the bluetooth preferences. If i unplug the adapter the wake from sleep option is avialiable.... so i am thinking if i can disable the onboard bluetooth i might be able to get my d-link adapter to let me wake my computer from sleep??? any help on the subject would be sooo much appreciated.

d2b

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

That won't work. I believe only an internal bluetooth card is capable of waking the computer from sleep. I have a USB Bluetooth card and NO internal Bluetooth card in my MacPro, and the wake from sleep option is still greyed out.

3. d2b thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you using a d-link dbt 120 vers B3 I hear vers C1 is not compatible.

4. slicecom macrumors 68020

No, I'm using a Kennsington USB2.0 Bluetooth key.

5. d2b thread starter macrumors newbie

According to this apple support article the d-link dbt-120 is the only supported usb bluetooth adapter.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1604

6. slicecom macrumors 68020

Ok, well then why not just disconnect the internal bluetooth card? That will disable it, and you'll know right away if the wake from sleep works with that particular dongle.

7. d2b thread starter macrumors newbie

I assumed the bluetooth card was soldered on to the board i have yet to locate it on the mother board.