Mac Pro bluray burner - MCE

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sim667, Dec 4, 2011.

1. sim667 macrumors 65816

Since my dvd drive have borked up, and the apple guy who was dealing with getting me a new one is basically ignoring my emails, and I ended up with an £80 phone bill last time I rang them, I've decided to cut my losses and just look at replacing it only my own.

So I was really interested in replacing it with a blu ray burner.

I've come across these MCE blu ray burners
    http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/index.html

So if I ordered one from the states I could get the 12X blu ray burner, toast 11 and the blu ray authoring plugin for about £200.

Has anyone installed one of these? I couldn't seem to find any install instructions online, and I'm a bit worried if ill still have to run a cable from the blu ray drive to the SATA bay, as I'd quite like to keep all my SATA bays for hard drives

2. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

Try this...
    Macsales
    its real easy
    £200 seems steep though?

3. The Mac DDS macrumors newbie

The Mac DDS

Forgive my ignorance, but other than a handful of programs like Final Cut Pro X, does OS X Lion have built-in support for an internal Blu-Ray reader/burner? For instance, if I install a Blu-Ray drive in my Mac Pro, would I then be able to view Blu-Ray movies using DVD Player? (I'm assuming not).

4. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

Not sure about Lion, but you can in Snow Leopard with some sneakiness. I watch them on my 30" ACD by launching MakeMKV and VLC, putting the Blu-ray in the burner, going into MakeMKV and setting the disc to streaming mode, copying the streaming address and pasting it into VLC... presto! It plays great and I've skipped all the menus in just a few clicks and drags. Not elegant, but when the TV in the living room is being used, it works great.

5. sim667 thread starter macrumors 65816

Awesome, thanks.....

Im debating whether its worthwhile tbh...... I can pick up a replacement dvd drive for £30

6. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

Or... get one for shipping only... ;)

7. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Yes Lion recognizes BD drives. It can read and write to them.

DVD player will not play commercial BDs, but as stated already you can play them using third party software. (Windows won't play commercial BDs natively either.)

8. Dan04MCS macrumors member